×12×

Tammin blinked slowly to adjust to the dim light of the tavern. Low lit lanterns hung from the ceiling and most of the window blinds were half drawn.

Women and men went back and forth from the kitchen to various tables. A waitress serving a table saw them waiting patiently and rushed over. "Welcome to Clara's Tavern, what can I do for you two?"

Tammin smiled shyly and kind of hid behind Eilihja. Eilihja smiled at the waitress and asked for a table and two menus. The waitress smiled back, clearly oblivious to who Eilihja was, and led them to a table.

   Eilighja took Tammin's hand and led him forward. Tammin felt shaky and nervous in a new place and kind of queasy in the crowded room.

  "Alright, here's you table, someone will be out soon to get your drinks." The waitress set down two rolls of silverware and two menus and left.

   Tammin sat and pulled his cloak over his legs to keep warm, even in the toasty room. Tammin looked across the table to Eilihja who was watching him intently. Tammin laughed and tilted his head questioningly. "What's up?"

Eilihja reached across the table and took Tammin's hand in his. "Mine." he muttered.

Wha-? Where was this coming from? Had someone looked at him funny? Flirted with him? He was confused...

"Yes Ligja, yours. Now and forever."

"Now and forever." he said firmly, as if confirming the fact further.

A pan flute started across the room and silence fell, as if the very building could hear the wonderous melody that one had started.

A voice began to sing in a strange yet beautiful harmony with the pan flute, creating an almost melancholy chorus.

   The room stayed so quiet you could hear the very earth beneath the tavern vibrate with the low strung song.

  The voice reverberated in a deep tenor, sounding of the mountain folk who sung with loss of their mountain home.

    People of stone they were called, for they stood still and stoic as stone in a hunt.

    Tammin's ears pricked at the familiar melody of the pan flute. His friend of many years,  who had woven his precious cloak had once played for him before falling I'll and passing.

    Tears welled in his eyes at the memory of his lost companion. He blinked them away and sniffed, accidentally catching a whiff of the delicious food cooking over open spit fires behind the bar counter.

   His mouth watered at the smell of cooking greens and spices. His stomach grumbled a complaint of hunger.

   "Lihja, my stomach hurts, can we order soon?" he asked sheepishly.

    Eilihja looked up and smiled. "Of course lover, do you know what you want to eat?"

    Tammin nodded. "Grilled greens with paprika and lemon!" he chirped excitedly. The smell of cooked and spiced vegetables was driving him crazy.

    Eilihja laughed and called over a waiter.

     He smelled of sandalwood and ash. The waiter. He was a Ash sprite. They were well known for being well-tempered and patient. They often helped fertilize the soil after a fire sprite temper tantrum or just natural forest fires.

   The ash sprite looked at Tammin first then to Eilihja and bowed. "Your highness. How can I help you this fine morning?"

    Eilihja waved him up gently. "None of that Zachariah, we're simply here to have a good home cooked breakfast. Sweet nectar to drink, one plate of grilled and spiced greens, and a bowl of sweet cocoa wheats."

   The waiter, Zachariah, smiled at the Eilihja the way a friend might.

    "Alright, I'll have those up for you in just a few minutes."

"Thanks Zach."

Eilihja turned back to his mate who stared after the ash sprite in amazement. He had only ever read about them in a few books. He had only ever met the creatures of the forest he once lived in. Pixies and wood sprites and the like.

   "Tammin, love? Are you alright?"

   Eilihja's voice snapped Tammin out of his daze.

    Tammin shook himself and gave a close eyed smile. In reality he was on the verge of tears from the memories of his forest home flooding back into his mind. 

   Eilihja noticed the shine in his eyes as soon as they opened. "Tammin? Love? What's wrong? Are you in pain?" 

   Eilihja's eyes filled with worry, his bright violet irises darkening into a near black purple. 

   Tammin's anxiety sparked a flame in his chest. Would his mate have an episode like he did in the palace? 

    Eilihja saw the anxious fear in Tammin's eyes and immediately took a deep breath to calm himself. His fluffy ears smoothing and laying back in shame and sadness that Tammin had witnessed an episode like that, more so that it scared him. 

    Tammin saw the shame in Eilihja's body movement and took his hands. Eilihja's skin was soft and supple like fresh leather, compared to Tammin's own which were rough and calloused from years of surviving on his own in the deep forest. 

    Tammin bent his head to look in to Eilihja's downcast eyes. "Look at me..." He whispered. 

  Eilihja lifted his eyes ever so slightly. 

  "Your 'episodes', are nothing to be ashamed of. You don't scare me. Neither does your power. But when you get so mad you cannot recognize me, then I am scared. Scared I will lose you to this power." 

  Eilihja's eyes widened. "That- I- That will never happen!" He whispered urgently. "I will not let it!" 

    Tammin smiled. "That is all I can ask my love."

  They stayed like that for a long while, with their chins to the table, starring into eachother's eyes, ignoring the many others that came and went.