Chapter 34

Alex's P.O.V

"Sit," I said to Federico. "What were the results?" I asked.

"We exhumed the body and took bone fragments and the lab came to the conclusion that Mrs. Masha Powalski, is indeed the body in the ground," he replied.

"And the location of Mikolaj?" I asked.

"He's residing in the family manor in Poland, sir. His son was nowhere to be found," he replied.

"When you went to Scarlett's apartment, did you see anything out of the ordinary? Maybe a plate of cookies in the kitchen?" I asked.

"Nothing was out of the ordinary. I can recall a plate of cookies on the kitchen counter," he replied.

"I want you to go back and bring them to me. I need to confirm a theory of mine," I replied.

"Permission to ask for elaboration, sir?" he asked.

"I believe Cade was drugging Scar through the cookies she was eating. I want a few of them to test. I also have another assignment for you," I replied.

"Of course, sir," he replied.

"Find Scarlett's place of employment. Her father mentioned that she was working at some flower shop with Cade's mother. Now that we know she's dead, I need to find out who this woman is and if she's the person responsible for her current state," I replied.

"I'll get on it right away, sir. Is there anything else?" he asked.

"Yes. I have Mariano and Cokevich on Scar's security detail at the moment. I need you to set up a rotation of our best guards to keep watch of her. I don't want to risk Cade coming after her while she's unconscious. Have them switch every twelve hours," I replied.

"Yes, sir. If I may ask, how is Ms. Scarlett doing by the way?" he asked.

"She's in a coma and might have brain damage, hence why it's imperative that you find where Cade is," I replied.

"Of course, sir. I'll keep her in my prayers," he replied.

"Very well. You're dismissed," I said as I turned my attention back to my paperwork.

---

5 Months Later

"...happy birthday dear Scarlett. Happy birthday to you," I said as I whispered the last part. "I know it's a sad excuse for a cupcake, but this was the best one out of the batch," I added as I held out an overbaked, dry cupcake topped with melting pink frosting and piss poor sprinkles.

"It's perfect, thank you," Scarlett said with a smile.

"Are you going to make a wish?" I asked, gesturing toward the burning flame.

"Oh, right," she replied with a light chuckle. Closing her eyes and pausing for a moment, she takes a deep breath and blows out the candle.

"What did you wish for?" I asked.

"Now if I told you, it wouldn't come true, silly," she replied with a small laugh.

"Any wish of yours I'd make come true," I replied as I brushed a few stray strands of hair out of her face as she blushed. "You're so pretty," I said softly as she looked away.

"Shut up," she said, pushing me away. Taking the cupcake from my hand, she peels the wrapper and takes a bite. I could tell from her facial expression she was trying hard not to make a face.

"That bad, huh?" I asked with a light chuckle.

"No. No. Um. Maybe some sugar? A lot of sugar? And you left it in a bit too long. But you did great! A for effort," she said as she rushed the last part.

"I know it tastes like shit, baby. You don't have to lie," I replied with a laugh.

"What? No! This, this is the best cupcake I have ever had in my entire life," she said, forcing herself to take another bite.

"The cupcakes you've had then must have been terrible," I replied.

"I'll have you know I have an excellent taste in cupcakes and this one, is superior," she replied as she took one last bite, finishing the dreadful thing.

"So if I brought the others, you'd eat those too?" I asked with a raised eyebrow.
"You know, actually, I'm quite full off of that one. Those cupcakes are very filling," she said with a nervous laugh as she patted her stomach.

"Yeah, I thought so," I replied with a small smile. Here she was in front of me. Up. Breathing. Okay. Safe. "How are you feeling otherwise?" I asked, taking her hand in mine.

"Well, I've just woken up from a long ass nap. I need to get my ass moving. I hate being confined to this bed," she said with an eye roll.

"I'm sure you'll be able to get up and about in a little. You don't want to push yourself too hard," I replied.

"Yeah, I know. But sitting in this bed is really boring. There's nothing to do other than watch people. And even that gets boring after a while. Plus, the cable here sucks ass. Not that they're even letting me watch TV anyways," she said with a huff.

"They're only trying to help you, love," I replied.

"Help me go insane, that's for sure," she replied.

"I'll talk to Dr. Depretis, see what he says. Alright?" I asked.

"Okay," she replied, a hint of sadness in her voice.

"Hey, cheer up. Come here," I said as I pulled her closer to me. "You're getting out of here, I promise," I replied.

"Promise?" she asked.

"I promise," I replied. As we sat in silence, I contemplated on what to do as she leaned against my chest, her breathing slow.

"Scar," I said.

"Mhm," she replied, looking up at me.

"I-," I began, but a soft knock on the door interrupted me.

"Alex, we need to talk. It's urgent," Dr. Depretis. As he came toward me, I could only wonder what it was that he needed to talk to me about.

Was everything okay with Scar?

Was she finally able to go home?

Did by some miracle Cade get found?

Why-

"Alex. Alex! Alex!" Dr. Depretis shouted, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Yeah, what is it?" I asked.

"Are you alright? You were staring off into space for quite some time there," Dr. Depretis asked.

"Yes, I'm fine. What is it you wanted to speak to me about?" I asked.

"Scar's health is still declining. I'd like to run more tests. Her body isn't reacting to the drugs in the way I'd hoped," he replied. "I'm truly sorry," he added.

And that was when it clicked. Yes, it may have been Scar's birthday, but she wasn't awake. It may have been 5 months, but she still wasn't safe. I didn't hear her beautiful voice or addicting laugh. She didn't make a wish or lay against my chest. She was still in a coma. Still under Cade's hold even if he weren't here.

"Run whatever tests you need to," I replied as what little was left of my heart broke even more.