Chapter 4: Worst Plan Ever

I followed behind the goons and Gamora, so silently and stealthily that my SHIELD mentors, Tasha and Clint, would be proud. Man I wished they were here. I managed to find a number of well hidden spots, though I had a creeping suspicion that I didn't actually need it because they only seemed interested in killing Gamora right now, they didn't seem to care to look back to make sure no 17 year old was coming up behind them.

As I snuck past the guys sleeping area I glanced in for just a moment and meet Quill's startled gaze. I gave him a shrug and a helpless look as I gestured after Gamora and her abductors. He stared at me for a moment before he leapt up and decided to take the lead, joining me on the save Gamora quest.

It was comforting to know that I wasn't the only one with a heart.

I was about to follow him until somebody much shorter than me, with claws, grabbed my wrist pulling me back with a startling amount of strength. I looked back tensing up startling, until I looked down and found that it was only Rocket clutching my wrist. He reminded me of a kid rubbing the sleep from his eyes and clutching my wrist.

Man I wish I had a camera that would be great blackmail material.

"Stay here," he ordered, his voice far too groggy to be commanding. Also he was a raccoon, so he was fluffy and therefore sorta adorable.

"I beg your pardon?" I demanded in disbelief, not in the least bit distracted by his fluffiness. I glanced behind me in time to see Quill just disappearing around the corner. I moved to follow only to be pulled back once again by the insistent Rocket.

"Are you deaf?" Rocket snapped sounding a little more awake.

"No, but I really hope you recognized the stupid that just came out of your mouth!" I argued setting my free hand on my hip.

"Listen, just get Groot up will ya?" Rocket hissed. And I do actually mean hiss, I swore I even saw his ears bend back a bit like a cat. I wasn't sure if I should 'aw' or yell or both.

"What is your problem, small furry psycho?" I demanded still annoyed before I pointed out dismissively, "You can wake him up!"

"No, I need to keep Quill alive!" Rocket argued equally dismissive.

"Quill can keep himself alive!" I argued.

Before I could argue more Rocket let go of my wrist and for a moment I thought he was giving in and was going to let me come with only for him to shove me with a surprising amount of force. I nearly fell on top of a guy who looked vaguely like a demon, but I managed to catch the door before I did.

I spun ready to give the pushy raccoon a piece of my mind but I found that not only was he strong he was also a fast little bugger because he was already gone by the time I turned around. I bolted forward after check checking around the corner just in time to see a striped tail disappear around the corner.

I grumbled angrily, resisted the urge to scream after the jerk about what I thought about being left behind. I forced myself to head back to the other room that Rocket had tried shoving me into. Instantly my eyes fell on the sleeping tree who appeared to be becoming one with the wall.

"Why am I in charge of the tree?"

You would think that waking a tree would be a pretty simple thing to do.

You assumed wrong!

I couldn't even begin to fathom how Groot managed to sleep so soundly and so deeply in a prison surrounded by countless dangerous criminals, some who were even will to become murders if they weren't already. I myself couldn't even attempt to get to sleep, but the here was the tree! Ironically sleeping like a rock!