Chapter 11

*5 Years ago*

Jay's POV

"Do you think I look dumb?" I walk out of my dressing room in a baggy, bright blue gi to where Nya is standing. She is already in her costume, a red kimono with some mascara and red lipstick.

"Not at all. You look like you'd fit in perfectly with the fruit snack gang," she uses the nickname we've created for the ninja team.

Ever since we met, Nya and I have been hanging out. I've been homeschooled my whole life, so becoming friends with Nya has been really nice. I'd definitely consider her my best friend. She's really nice and funny. Plus, we have similar interests. It's nice to finally have a friend.

"Yeah, but... I'm so much smaller than the rest of them. They all look so much older than me," I express, looking even smaller in my baggy gi. "Won't I look out of place?"

"Well, we're the same height, aren't we?" Nya brings up, "You're also the youngest of the guys. You'll catch up. Besides, I think people will find you endearing. So what if you don't look like the others? They didn't cast you to play their roles," she comforts me, placing a hand on my shoulder. "If anyone looks ridiculous, it's me. This makeup is caked on," Nya takes a glance in the mirror that is on my door before scrunching up her nose.

"Hey, you're not alone. Look at my face," I turn my head, revealing my foundation covered skin.

"They put more on you than me!" she laughs. "Jay Gordon: the foundation king."

"Oh, there you two are," one of the stage directors sighs once she sees us, murmuring something into a headset. "Mr. Gordon, you're wanted on the monastery set. You can come watch if you want, Ms. Taylor."

"Oh, you know I'm coming," Nya tells the stage director who nods and starts to lead us in the direction of the set. The two of us stay decently far behind her, so we can keep having our own conversation. "Did you hear that another director is apparently making a show about a team of samurai? Rumor has it they started to make it once the news of our show came out. Gabe's uncle is all stressed about it because if the other show outperforms ours, the studio will pick up their show and not ours."

"Why wouldn't the other director just use an idea that isn't like ours? We're just going to be appealing to the same market, and they'll have to decide between the two," I ask as we take a right turn down another hallway.

Before Nya can respond, the stage director juts in, "You two sure get along well. Did you know each other beforehand?"

"Nope, Nya and I met when we got the roles," I answer.

"Yeah. We met on the day we signed our contracts. It was on Christmas, and we went ice skating after," Nya elaborates, glancing over at me and giving me a little smile.

"I'm a lot more graceful on the ice than her. She obviously wasn't forced into ice skating classes when she was younger," I tease Nya.

She lightly elbows me in the side, her eyes wide. "I knew that wasn't your first time, you liar!" she laughs back.

"No, no, no, I said that was the first time I remembered. I knew I took classes, but I couldn't remember doing them. I guess it was all muscle memory though," I shrug.

"Well, the show needs to capitalize on your abilities and make an ice skating scene or something..."

"I'll suggest it," the stage director says, "I've heard that Zane can figure skate. I'm not sure about Kai and Cole, though. Maybe it can happen in a holiday special."