8- Their Future

Dear readers, this is the last chapter of my retelling. It's my imagining of a future where Max and Riftan are together in Anatol after the post World Tower expedition. Just a little vignette of their life together as time goes on. 

***

Max poured over a manuscript in the Castle Calypse library. She had promised Ruth that she would work on a magical formula for better defense at the docks. As Anatol's prosperity swelled, so did random occurrences of piracy as people across the continent heard of the dragon slayer who revitalized the land. Her fiery hair was tied back in an elegant braid down her back, making it easier for Max to work on the calculations at hand. 

She didn't hear Riftan coming up behind her. He was in his usual simple work gear. The ever upwardly mobile lord preferred to adorn Max with jewels and gowns. His disdain for ornamentation and frills never wavered, even after the years of conferences and banquets alongside his wife. 

Riftan stood behind Max and quietly inhaled the gentle white flower scented oil that she had rubbed into her hair. He waited a moment and when she didn't hear him, he hugged Max from behind. She squealed when her feet lifted off the ground. 

"Put me down," she laughed. 

She turned to quickly kiss her husband and then went back to her calculations on the parchment. 

"What's more interesting to you, that damn parchment or me," he grumbled. "You never get angry at Ruth when he comes here." 

"Ruth doesn't hug me," she responded as she looked down at the parchment and put her arm around his waist. 

Max continued to write notes on her work as she kept her arm around Riftan. He leaned his head on hers and looked down at her writing. 

"Is Ruth working you too hard again?" 

"No, this isn't that difficult," Max responded, leaning into Riftan's hug to reassure him. 

She told him about their plan to help secure the port and to stop the random acts of piracy and to better protect the flock of merchants that had partnered with Riftan. As she was now a well respected mage across the continent, Max felt it was her duty to use her skills to protect Anatol and to support Riftan's efforts. The famed Red Lady was often by her husband's side at other smaller expeditions and during some of the business dealings. 

Despite their disdain for Ruth Serbel in the territory, other wizards began to flock to Anatol to ask for Max to advise them on magical matters and to buy magical items and monster parts for spells. Those with non-human ancestors felt safe and knew they wouldn't be discriminated against and often turned to Riftan and Max for advice on which lords to offer their services to. 

"When you're done, would you like to go riding again?" he asked. 

Max hurried to finish up her writing. 

"Where would we ride to, the lake, or the meadow?" 

"You could just ride me in our bedroom," Riftan smirked. 

Max flushed a brilliant red as Riftan pulled her in closer. She felt the heat radiating from his body through his robes. 

"Why such a lovely flush, my lady. It's nothing you haven't begged me to do before," he laughed. 

Max put the parchment at the end of the table where Ruth could find it on his own later. She turned, pulled Riftan's face down to her and kissed him. She flung her arms around his neck to bring his body closer to hers. 

"So no horseback riding today then," Riftan laughed. 

Hours later, they lay in bed and Max lazily rubbed cheek on Riftan's chest. He trailed is fingertips up and down her back. After all their years together and all the expeditions, Riftan had yet to acquire a major scar on his body, no major blemish or long lasting bruise. Max marveled at how his strength never faltered even after all these years. 

"Is there a secret," she muttered against his skin. 

"A secret to what?" he pulled her in closer so that their legs would intertwine. 

"To why you're so strong," she mumbled. 

Riftan stroked Max's hair away from her forehead and traced her eyebrows with his fingertips. 

"I'll tell you one day... I promise," he whispered back. 

Max sleepily nodded against him. 

Over they years Riftan and Max had peeled back the layers of their secrets and their feelings, carving away at the rotting wood of lifelong wounds to find what could be the beginnings of a new sold foundation for both of them. Sometimes it felt as if they were painfully cutting old wounds open for each other to see, but oftentimes it felt as if they were carefully planting and watering a garden where green shoots were making their presence known through the mulch. 

The sea that lapped the edge of the docks was bringing in balmy weather to Anatol and the season of rest had since waned over the peninsula. The oak tree in the garden Max had planted her first year in Anatol was gently blooming. Riftan had marveled at the blossoms decorating the tips of the branches and wondered why they reminded him of Max. 

"Sweet dreams, Maxi," Riftan whispered. 

He pulled her in closer and drifted off to sleep. Once again, he didn't dream. His mind drifted and all was quiet in Castle Calypse. 

FIN.

***

Thank you all so much for reading my lil mini series. So grateful for the fellow OAK Army and all of your votes and comments. If you still need UTOT fanfic content, I've started a new mini series. This time it's a short snapshot into a modern day AU where Riftan and Max are planning their wedding together with the help of friends (aka Ruth)

https://www.wattpad.com/story/297648774-utot-from-this-day-forward