Chapter 10

I hadn't told anyone but Mahlik about my engagement to Preston. I don't know who Preston told, but I was teaching my art class when my phone blew up.

I kept getting several notifications from all kinds of social media platforms. I had received texts, phone calls, and even emails congratulating me.

I was furious, because Preston and I agreed to keep it a secret from everyone except Mahlik, but somehow, news of our engagement had leaked all over the press.

The Haywood's are a very popular bunch so they're bound to be all over the internet. I should've expected this since I may be officially joining their family.

But now that the news is out, I'm feeling the pressure to say yes to Preston. And I'm still not quite sure I want to marry him. I mean Mahlik was right. We have changed. And I don't know if that change was a good thing in our relationship.

I apologized to my class, excusing myself to answer Mrs. Haywood's call. "Oh my goodness! Finally!" I had to pull the phone away from my ear, because she was screaming so loud.

"I don't know how this got out, but I have yet to give Preston my answer."

"What, why?" The disappointment in her voice was clear. "What is there to think about? You two were meant for each other."

Were we though?

Because something keeps holding me back from telling him yes. I'm not sure what it is, but it's making me question whether or not spending the rest of my life with Preston is a good idea.

"I just have some things I need to figure out, before I give him my answer." My phone beeped, my mom's face popping up on my screen. "I'm sorry Mrs. Haywood, but I have to go. My mom's calling."

Taking my mom's call, I sighed and answered with, "I'm guessing you heard about Preston and I's engagement."

"Yes, I did. And truthfully, I'm surprised. You two were arguing not too long ago. Does Roman even know?"

"I haven't given Preston my answer yet. And what does Roman have to do with any of this?"

I was getting a little defensive and my mom caught on. "I just want to make sure that you're following your heart, honey."

"I am." Even I knew that didn't sound even remotely convincing. I bit the inside of my cheek, knowing that it was probably better I speak to him than Preston, who's already caused enough damage. "Fine. I'll go talk to him."

****

I kept pacing back and forth in front of his door, trying to gain enough courage to knock.

Come on Syraia, you can do this.

Refusing to let my nerves win, I pulled my shoulders back, balled my hand into a fist, and knocked.

The door opened, Roman's eyes immediately zeroing in on the ring on my finger. Grabbing my wrist, he pulled me into his suite and slammed the door shut.

"What are you doing? Let go of me, Roman."

He released his hold on my wrist just as I jerked back. I stumbled back a few steps and looked into Roman's angry eyes.

He looked like he'd been drinking, his hair a complete mess, and his eyes bloodshot as if he'd barely gotten any sleep last night.

"So the rumors are true. You are marrying him."

"I don't know yet."

"What do you mean you don't know? You're wearing the fucking ring!" He snapped. I flinched at his outburst. His eyes softened when he saw how scared and concerned I was. He then took a deep breath and apologized. "I'm sorry. It's just..."

"Just what?"

"It's just that my brother has everything. A successful career, my parent's affection, and now... you. You were the one thing I didn't have to compete for. You were mine. And now he has the only thing I've ever wanted."

"What about basketball?"

He sauntered across the floor and cupped my face in his hands. "Without my cheerleader, I could give two fucks about basketball."

"Roman..."

"Fuuck," he groaned. "Don't say my name like that, doll. I'm trying to respect your relationship with my brother, but damn it I really want to taste you."

I didn't know what to say. I was used to Roman being straightforward about what he wants. Not just about me, but in life. And because of that, he usually ends up getting what he wants.

Which means that my parents were right. Living this close to Roman might not have been the best idea.

Although I have self control, which hasn't been easy to maintain I might add, Roman doesn't. He looks like he wants to tears my clothes off and fuck me on and against everything in this Penthouse.

"Please tell me I'm not crazy and that you want me just as much as I want you?" I was getting ready to lie to him when he called me out on it. "And don't you dare lie to me. I'll know if you're lying."

"How?" I found myself asking, my breathing all over the place. Roman pressed himself against me, my eyes widening at how erect he was.

"Well first, you crinkle your nose." He poked my nose as he said this, his eyes on me. "And then..." His fingers trailed down my body, every touch setting my body on fire. "The less obvious give away is right here." He hiked up my skirt and cupped my sex. I started to quiver, a moan slipping past my lips when he grazed my damp panties with his index finger. "Do you get this wet for my brother?" He asked, adding pressure to my throbbing bud.

"Roman," I mumbled breathlessly. "Please stop."

"Do you really want me to stop, Syraia?" He murmured seductively, planting a sweet kiss to my temple.

"Y-yes. No. I... don't know."

"Yes, you do. Come on sweetheart, tell the truth."

I didn't really want him to stop and he knew that. But letting another man touch me is cheating. So I have to stop this before it gets any further.

I melted at his touch, my mind turning to mush as the pounding in my chest and the one between my legs intensified.

Damn it, Syraia. Get it together!

I screamed at my inner self, my mind and body fighting to gain dominance over the other. 

Just when I felt as though I couldn't fight back anymore, I thought about Preston and pushed Roman's hand away.

I didn't even give him a second to say or do anything, because I was scurrying out of his suite and back into the safety of my hotel room before he could stop me.

I pressed my back against the door, panting as I slid down into a seated position to catch my breath. "Shit," was the only word that came to mind, because I couldn't put into words how dangerously good his fingers felt. And they hadn't even been inside me.

I'm ashamed to say that a part of me wished I had just given in. To let him do whatever he wanted to my body.

But then the other part of me felt absolutely disgusted at myself for allowing him to get that close and that far. I should've stopped it sooner, but I didn't. And I knew it was because I've been dying to get a taste of Roman for years.

Which makes me feel terrible. Preston doesn't deserve this. Despite the issues we've been having within our relationship, he's a good guy. And he's done nothing but try to be the best boyfriend he can with his busy schedule.

After I picked myself up off the floor and tried not to think about what a terrible girlfriend I am, I spent the evening with my shower head.

And I made sure that no name other than Preston's left my lips.