Chapter 36

Two years later (Epilogue pt. 2)
Roman's POV
"Foul!" Zion shouted when the ball went into the hoop, indicating that I had won.

"Oh don't be such a sore loser," Denzel said from the bleachers, holding his three year old daughter, while watching his six year old son practice dribbling a basketball.

"I call for a rematch," he called, refusing to accept defeat.

"Another time. The grand opening of  Syraia's art gallery is tonight and I got to be there to support her."

"That's tonight already?" Denzel questioned in disbelief.

"Yeah. You guys should stop by."

"Oh we will. And I'll bring Raven too."

"Great. I'll catch you tonight then."

Grabbing my duffel bag, I tossed the basketball to Zion. On my way out, I gave D.J and Dove a high five before getting into my car and speeding over to my parents house to shower, change clothes, and head over to the local Flower shop.

I still had a couple of hours before the gallery's opening, so I thought I would grab a bouquet of flowers on my way over.

"Three dozen roses please."

The elderly woman behind the desk smiled and nodded. I waited patiently as she picked out three dozen roses and trimmed the ends before placing them into a large black vase.

"Who's the lucky lady?" She asked, ringing my order up into the register.

"My wife."

"How sweet."

After paying for the flowers, I got back in my car and drove over to the gallery. Syraia decided to open up the art gallery in Atlanta, even though we're both living in Chicago. She wanted to be able to showcase her art in the place where she grew up.

Parking my car once I reached my destination, I made sure to grab the flowers before heading inside.

"Where's Rai?" I asked Mahlik and Deija, who were finishing up the last bit of decorations to the gallery.

"She's with Miguel," Mahlik replied, rolling his eyes.

I wasn't the only one who didn't like Miguel. Mahlik also thought something was off about him. When he confronted Syraia about it, she shrugged it off as paranoia just like she did me.

She's so blinded by her admiration for one of her favorite artists that she can't even see how sketchy he is. I swear I caught him sniffing her hair one time. And I almost did something about it, but decided not to cause a fight when everything's going so good between us.

Walking through the gallery, I paused when I found Syraia. Miguel was of course by her side. He's like a damn fly that just won't go away.

Huffing, I kept my cool and forced a smile onto my face as I swooped in between them. I had my back to Miguel, so I couldn't see his face. Though I wish he could have when he watched me kiss her.

"Hey baby."

"Hi," she murmured, breathless.

"These are for you." 

Her face lit up when she saw the flowers in my hands. "They're so beautiful. Thank you."

"Where do you want me to put them?"

"In my office please."

Nodding, I glared at Miguel one last time before walking off to go put the vase full of fresh roses in her office down the hall.

When I returned, Miguel was back to hovering. It was bothering me like hell, so I pulled Syraia to the side. I didn't want to ruin her night with such nonsense, but I hate seeing him around her.

It has nothing to do with jealousy. Okay, a little bit. They have something in common, so they are able to connect on a different level. But I was more annoyed with his presence than anything.

He's always looking at her like he wants to fuck and it pisses me off. He does it right in front of me, because he knows there's nothing I can do about it.

"Does he have to be here?"

Her red painted lips curled down into a frown, knowing exactly who I was referring to. "Roman please," she sighed. "Not tonight."

"Why does he always have to touch you to get his point across?"

"Do you not trust me? Is that it?"

"Of course I trust you, doll. It's his ass I don't trust."

"I don't want to talk about this anymore. The gallery opens in less than an hour and I'm freaking out." 

She started to walk away, but I grabbed her hand and pulled her back into me. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to upset you." 

She let out another sigh. "No more talk about Miguel, okay?"

I nodded. "Okay."

The time seemed to pass by rather quickly. And before we knew it, it was time to open up the gallery. There was a crowd of people waiting on the other side of the glass doors, Syraia's nerves through the roof now that it was finally time.

She stepped outside to say a few heartfelt words before Mahlik handed her a pair of golden scissors. Which she then used to cut the red ribbon that blocked the entrance.

Cheers and applause sounded as the doors were finally opened and people came flooding in. A few waiters walked around with trays of champagne glasses, handing them out to anyone who wanted one.

Everyone was dressed nicely in their formal wear, but my eyes were only on Syraia as she conversed with the people around her, informing them about her artwork.

She'd occasionally look around the room for me, a beaming smile on her face when she saw me. I was so proud of her. She was finally doing what she's always dreamed of.

"Damn, she really did it," Mahlik said beside me, also admiring Syraia and her hard work from afar. "I'm so proud of her."

"Yeah, I am too," I mumbled under my breath.

Mahlik left to go browse with his girlfriend just as Syraia came up to me with an even wider smile on her face. "The gallery hasn't even been open for an hour and I already sold my first painting!"

I smiled down at her. "Congratulations baby."

She has no idea it was me.

Her attention shifted to the door when she saw Raven and the guys walking in. Leaving me to go speak to them, I snatched a glass of champagne off the tray of a waiter passing by.

"She's such a talented woman."

My mood immediately changed when I heard Miguel's voice. "What the hell do you want?" I gripped my glass tighter, trying to prevent myself from punching him in his pretty face. After all, this is Syraia's night and I refuse to ruin it. There's always tomorrow to bash his face in.

"You've hated me ever since you met me. Why is that?"

The cocky bastard acts like he doesn't know why I can't stand his ass. I kept my eyes on Syraia, determined to distract myself from putting my hands on him and possibly smashing this glass over his head.

"Stay away from my wife, Miguel."

"What will you do if I don't?"

"Try me and find out."

"Is that a threat, Roman Haywood?"

"It's not a threat. No, it's a guarantee. Keep fucking with me and not even my wife's love for your artwork will stop me from beating your ass."

He simply chuckled. "That's a risk I'm willing to take."