Chapter 30

"What did you just say?" Roman questioned, standing to his feet to look at me.

Hopping off the desk, I quickly pulled down my dress and smoothed out the wrinkles with my hands.

When I didn't respond, he turned to see what, or in this case, who had caught my attention. I could see the relief washing over him when he realized I hadn't said Preston's name out of lust or desire.

"I didn't think seeing you with my brother would hurt as much as it did," Preston said sadly.

"You should have thought about that before you decided to bury your cock in another woman," I snapped.

A part of me felt bad that Preston had to see his brother satisfy me in a way that he never could. I'm not saying sex with Preston was bad. But he's never been able to get me to orgasm in the way that Roman had. And he knows it.

But the other part of me was thrilled. It felt like I had gotten payback in a way. Giving his brother what he lost has never felt so good.

"I made a mistake."

I scoffed, shaking my head in disbelief. I don't even know why I'm still standing here listening to this bullshit. I looked to Roman, who had suddenly gone quiet. "Can you please take me to your place? I don't want to be here anymore."

He gave me a small nod, his hand grabbing at my waist. We started towards the door but paused as Preston was blocking our exit.

I was getting ready to tell him to move, but then he grabbed my hand. Staring down at his hand on mine, my eyes widened. Not because he was touching me, but because a touch like that used to set me on fire. But now I feel absolutely nothing.

"Let go of me," I demanded, looking back up at him.

"He's not right for you, Rai."

Roman growled. "And you were?" He smacked his brother's hand away, his grip on my waist tightening. "I've been trying not to interfere out of respect for Rai, but I've heard enough."

"Are you fucking kidding me? All you've done is interfere. You've been trying to fuck my girl ever since she chose me over you," he said with a snort, referring to that day Roman was drafted.

Roman cackled. "If she was your girl, then she wouldn't have been moaning my name while you two were fucking."

"Roman," I scolded.

He ignored me, determined to press every one of his brother's buttons. "You did all that bragging for what? Just so your cheating ass could lose her? You're so fucking lucky that my tongue was all you saw in her pussy," he growled.

Preston, whose face had turned beet red in color, took his clenched fists and swung. Roman stumbled back into the bookcase, losing his hold on me as Preston's fist connected with his jaw.

He wasn't down long though, Roman quickly gaining the upper hand when he tackled his brother to the floor.

"Stop!" I yelled, trying to pull the two of them apart. I was shoved out of the way, the two brothers tumbling around on the floor.

Preston managed to get another hit in just before Roman pinned his body to the floor and started punching him repeatedly.

"Roman! Stop! You're hurting him!"

Preston's face was covered in blood as he tried to block his face with his arms.

"Roman, please!"

He ignored me. It was almost like he couldn't hear me. Like he had drowned everyone and everything thing out entirely.

"You don't deserve her!" Roman shouted, too blinded by rage to see that he was really hurting his brother.

Not sure how to stop this, I used all the strength I could muster to shove Roman off his brother.

When Roman fell backward, I grabbed Preston. "Preston, are you okay?" He just moaned, too in pain to speak.

"Why do you keep going back to him? He treated you like shit and here you are, cradling him like a damned baby."

I looked at Roman, anger boiling in my veins. "Are you fucking kidding me? You just beat the shit out of him! Out of your own flesh and blood! I'm not going to just leave him like this."

"What is go- Preston!" Mrs. Haywood shouted, running over to her son. She fell to her knees, pulling her son away from me. "What the hell happened!?"

She didn't need the answer to her question once she saw Roman's hands. She looked at me, her silence indicating that she knew exactly what happened here.

"Mrs. Hay-"

"Both of you need to go- now," she demanded coldly. "We can talk about this later."

"Mother," Roman called, but Mrs. Haywood shook her head. She didn't want to hear anything we had to say right now.

"Go Roman," she said, unable to make eye contact.

Realizing he wasn't going to be able to get through to his mother no matter how hard he tried, he dropped his head and left the office.

I followed him all the way out of the house, grabbing his arm to stop him. "Roman, wait!"

He whipped around, tears streaming down his face. "I'm done!"

"What are you-"

"This shit," he said, pointing back and forth between me and him, "is over!"

"Please don't say that."

"First my mother and now you." He looked me up and down as if I were a disease, pain flashing in his blue eyes. "I can't take it anymore. I'm tired of being everybody's second choice. I'm done. Fuck this."

I chased after him when he turned his back to me and starting walking away. I grabbed his arm a second time, but he jerked away.

"Roman! Don't you dare walk away from me!" He kept walking and I began to cry. "Please, Roman. I love you."

He stopped and my heart rate increased. I wanted him to run back, take me his arms, and kiss me like it was the end of the world. I wanted him to tell me that he loved me.

But instead, he shook his head and kept walking.

"Roman!"

No response.

"Roman!" I called out again, not caring that a few of the people from inside the banquet had come out of the house to watch as our relationship falls apart.

He didn't turn around once. And that's when I knew that I had lost him.