Chapter 20

I should be balling my eyes out right now, but for some strange reason I'm not. In fact, I feel a sense of relief.

Which is odd because I just found out my ex boyfriend and fiancé had been cheating on me for about a year.

I meant it when I said I loved Preston. I still do love him. But I wasn't in love with him. Not like how I used to be.

And I know he loves me as well. It just wasn't enough to keep us together.

I greeted Hector on my way towards the elevators. Pressing the button leading up to the top floor, I checked my appearance in the camera on my phone.

Getting on to the elevator, I bobbed my head to the classical music playing in the background.

I don't even know why I'm going to see Roman. Okay maybe I do. But that's only because I want to apologize for the hurt my words had caused him.

And because a part of me just wants him to pull me into his arms and kiss me without feeling so over stricken with guilt. Especially now, since there is no longer anything or anyone holding us back.

Walking off the elevator, I inhaled deeply through my nose and exhaled out through my mouth.

I was nervous.

And with each slow stride towards the door of his Penthouse suite, the more nervous I became.

Forcing down the bundle of nerves sitting in my throat, I balled my hand into a fist and knocked.

The door opened, Roman standing sexily in the doorway wearing only a pair of black boxer briefs. He looked down at me and groaned. "What do you want, Syraia?"

You.

I want you.

But I didn't say that out loud in fear of him rejecting me because I hurt his feelings.

"Can I please come in?"

"Shouldn't you be busy giving my brother what doesn't belong to me?" He retorted coldly.

"I... I'm sorry about what I said. I didn't mean it. I was just pissed at you for using me for your own selfish gain."

"The shit you said hurt. But that was your intention, right? To hurt me?"

"No, of course not."

"So why the hell did you say it? Especially knowing how I feel about you."

How he feels about me?

"I was angry Roman."

"So I didn't let you come. So fucking what! That doesn't give you a right to play with my fucking feelings!" He ran his fingers through his hair, growling with frustration. "You have no idea what kind of shit was going through my head. Fuck," he grunted. "Knowing you were with him..." He closed his eyes, as if trying to soothe some sort of inner beast fighting to break free.

"We didn't do anything. As a matter of fact, we actually broke up."

His eyes fluttered open and quickly glanced at my ringless hand before meeting my eyes. "I'm sorry."

"No, you're not."

"You're right," he said, grabbing my hand and pulling me through the door. "I'm not."

I was expecting him to kiss me or something, but instead he led me over to the couch and sat me down.

"So, are you going to tell me why you two broke up?" He asked, taking a seat on the couch and staring at me attentively.

"He's been cheating on me for a year with the girl in his class."

"I really am sorry. And if you need a shoulder or lap to cry on-"

"I'm fine," I interrupted.

He narrowed his eyes in suspicion. "You sure? You seem to be handling this shit way better than I thought you would."

I nodded. "I'll be okay." Scooting closer to him, I slung my leg over his and shifted on his lap to get more comfortable.

He grabbed my waist, a soft moan spilling from his plump lips. "What are you doing, doll?"

I took my hand and slowly glided it down his bare torso. I stopped when I reached the bulge in his boxers.

"I need you take my mind off things."

I began to rotate my hips, my dress hiked up and my panty covered sex repeatedly brushing over his hard growing cock.

"Not tonight," he replied breathlessly as he pulled me off his lap and stood up.

I stared at him, confused and needing to release all this pent up frustration. "So you don't want me now?"

He clenched his jaw with a scoff. "You know damn well I want you."

"So why haven't you fucked me yet?"

"Because you are hurting. And you may think you are fine, but you're not. So tonight, I'm going to hold you and that's it."

"But-"

"Let's go," he demanded, cutting off my words. "Now," he barked, when I didn't move a muscle.

Abruptly standing up at the sudden sound his demanding tone, which turned me on to no end, I followed him into his bedroom.

I struggled with the zipper on my dress, my palms sweaty and my heart racing. You could tell I was breathing heavy by the way my chest heaved.

I could feel his blue eyes on me. And then he stepped closer to me, his breath on my neck. "I got it," he mumbled, his low voice vibrating throughout my body and causing goosebumps to pimple my arms and legs.

He took his sweet time unzipping me, his eyes trained on my back. The corner of my mouth curved up into a grin when I heard him curse under his breath.

He was having just as much of a difficult time as me, if not more.

Peeling the dress off my body, he let the satin material fall to the floor. His fingertips skated over my neck and shoulders. I let out a quiet gasp when his fingers traced the curve of my spine.

"Roman, stop teasing me," I murmured.

"I'm sorry." The warmth was gone, cold air taking its place as he snatched his hand away. "I just needed to make sure this was real. That you were real."

I turned around to face him. I made note of the way his own breathing had become labored and his eyes had darkened and glazed over.

"What do you mean?"

"I've dreamed of this shit more times than I count. You and me together like this. But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little scared."

"Scared? Of what?"

I was surprised. Roman's never been afraid of anything. It's just so unlike him.

"Losing you to my brother again," he admitted.

Snaking my arms around his waist, I pressed my cheek to his chest. I could hear his heartbeat, the sound like music to my ears.

"You're not going to lose me, Roman." I pulled him onto the bed with me and wrapped his tattooed arm around my body, his large frame spooning my smaller one. "I promise you that I'm not going anywhere. I'll be right here when you wake up."

For the rest of the night, we just laid there together. There was no groping, grinding, or anything sexual like that. We just held each other in silence, allowing ourselves to revel in the comfort and safety of each other. Which felt oh so good.

And most importantly, it felt... right.