~ Prologue ~

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." — George Bernhard Shaw.

𓆩*𓆪

Working away, Viktor tinkers with the early-stage Hexcore. Humming softly, the strange object sways and twirls, making soft ringing noises as the young inventor attempts to decode the runes.

"Viktor, how is the core coming along?"

Jayce entered the room, bringing in a more masculine aura, and startling Viktor. Taking off his goggles and running his hand through his hair, Viktor sighs.

"Eh, it could be better. I'm still trying to figure out if there are new runes we don't know of, but the core seems to be reacting the same no matter what I do." 

"Hmm. Are the ones we already know on the core?"

Nodding, Viktor stands up and walks up to the large and messy chalkboard. Equations, formulas, theories, and results written in what looks like chicken scratches. With the amount of chalk piling on the floor, anyone would be able to tell this project the two of them are working on is becoming more and more tedious and challenging. Jayce studies what he can of the messy words, understanding most but not all of it.

"I can feel my body eroding." 

Jayce looks over at Viktor, sympathy and regret in his eyes. Viktor had passed out not too long ago from overworking himself and this terminal illness that has become more active over the past week. He felt like he should have been there, that if he was there Viktor wouldn't have gotten hurt. Putting aside his guilt, Jayce picks up a piece of chalk, grabbing Viktor's attention.

"We are so close, Viktor. We can fix you with the Hexcore. All we have to do is keep doing what we are best at." Jayce's words ring throughout the room, the rustling of the wind outside seeming soft compared to Jayce's encouragements. 

Gently smiling and grabbing onto the chalk, Viktor makes eye contact with Jayce. He knows that the doesn't have much time left, and as the minutes pass, so does the will to keep going. At this point, attempting to crack the Hexcore is the main objective. The main goal, and the only thing that is motivating him.

Letting go of Viktor's hand, Jayce realizes the time and scurries off after saying his goodbyes. Leaving Viktor alone, the humming and the wind drown out the loud footsteps running down the hallway. Tears start to form in his bronze colored eyes, the feelings of doom and failure starting to overwhelm him. 

"I can do it. I know I can. Whatever it takes."

________

Hello, everyone! I just wanted to let you guys know that I'm not going to copying the script word for word, but all the events will be the same. I will be using some of the original script. Anyway, the next chapter should be longer, and will be introducing you into the story. Stay tuned! <3