~ Chapter Four - Ethereal ~

"I love you as certain dark things are to be loved, in secret, between the shadow and the soul." - Pablo Neruda

𓆩*𓆪

The sky starts to turn into light pinks and yellows, the world of Piltover slowing down, and undercity folk crawl out of their dark holes to begin their mischievous doings. Viktor, sitting at the edge and watching the water below him, he grabs the canister containing Miss Young from his side. 

"I'm sorry," he breathes, "I don't know where you would have preferred."

Hesitating, he collects all that he can muster to keep himself from falling apart, "I'm sorry."

Opening the makeshift urn, he allows the remains of Sky to fall into the water, mixing and swirling down stream as nature takes her back home. His arm goes limp, letting go of the container. Viktor turns to Miss Young's journal, coughing as he grasps it in his hands. 

Taking his leave, slightly struggling to get back up, Viktor turns to the entrance to walk away. However, something in him draws him back. Moving towards the edge, he peers over, inching his left foot closer and closer. Closing his eyes, he starts to lean forward to jump.

"Am I interrupting?" Jayce questions as he approaches Viktor, looking at him knowingly as his Hextec hammer creaks and groans. Shocked, Viktor turns to him, holding his hands to his chest.

Releasing his breath, Jayce sets down the hammer as it turns off, and sits down on one of the curved walls. Viktor hides the journal from Jayce's view, looking away from him as his partner looks towards the horizon.

"Remember the Distinguished Innovator's Competition?" The hammer wielding inventor asks, facing his dying friend.

Slightly smiling, Viktor replies, "I remember you notching gears in the carriage over."

"They started cranking the engine and the whole thing was rattling. I thought a loose cog was going to take someone's eye out." 

"At least you didn't throw up." Jayce chuckles at Viktor's comment.

"Everything made sense then." 

Both of them look down below, reminiscing over the good ol' days as Viktor leans into his cane more. 

"We lost ourselves, lost our dream. In the pursuit of great, we failed to do good."

𓆩*𓆪

As the sun reflects its pastel hues onto the greenery around her, (Y/N) waits patiently for Viktor. Her thoughts all jumbled up as the Shimmer and magic in her fight and argue. Shaking her head, she looks down the road to see Jayce walking in their direction. She panics, looking around frantically to find a spot to hide before running inside the building, cranks and cogs moving together in harmony. In the shadows, (Y/N) climbs onto one of the broken cogs, her eyes reflecting the little amount of light emitting into the small space. From this height, Jayce wouldn't even know she was there. 

Why are we hiding? 

Because we don't want anyone else to know we exist. If anyone else knows, it is only going to cause us more trouble. Not that your little fit earlier helped.