Stealing A Farmer's Heart Part 4

Farmer had cleaned up the mess and was just pulling out the filets of salmon she bought at the store when Brynn entered the kitchen. All action halted as Farmer stared in shock at Brynn. The dirt from her face had been washed away and her hair looked as if she brushed it. Her heart pitter-pattered for the demure looking woman standing in front of her. When Brynn's smile faded away and she started shifting uncomfortably on her feet, Farmer cleared her throat.

"Salmon?" She held up the fish to show Brynn.

"Yeah, anything would be great."

Farmer nodded then set the fish down on a cutting board and began preparing it. Out of the corner of her eye, she could see Brynn still standing there. She looked over at her and said, "Have a seat, if you'd like." She gestured to the large kitchen table that sat eight on normal occasions, but up to twelve when the leaf was added.

"Thank you." Brynn pulled out a chair and sat down. "I'm sorry, again."

Farmer turned to her. "Don't worry about it."

"Still, I'm forcing you to cook when it was clear you'd planned on eating that already cooked chicken."

Farmer snorted with her back to Brynn, then said as she seasoned the fish, "I was being lazy. Besides, I prefer salmon over chicken, especially the way I make it." Oil and garlic cloves were already sizzling in the pan as she sprinkled salt over the fish before adding it to the pan. "Do you like rice?"

"Depends on how it's cooked and what I'm eating with it."

While Farmer was rummaging around in her fridge, she said, "White fluffy rice seasoned to perfection served next to a beautifully cooked salmon." She shut the fridge door with a lemon in one hand and butter in the other.

"That sounds heavenly, actually," Brynn said.

Farmer smiled then flipped the stick of butter in her hand, and said, "Good. I'm glad."

*****

Farmer placed Brynn's plate on the table in front of her doing the same with her own then sat down across from her.

Just as Farmer was about to cut into her salmon, Brynn asked, "Mind if I snoop in your fridge for drinks?"

Farmer quickly glanced around at the table realizing she'd forgotten to offer refreshments. She set her fork down and was about to stand when Brynn reached out and placed her hand on Farmer's forearm. She looked at Brynn then at her hand on her arm then back at Brynn.

Brynn smiled at her. "I don't mind, unless you do mind me touching your stuff."

Farmer swallowed hard while savouring Brynn's touch. All she could do was smile, nod, and gesture with her head toward the fridge since she was speechless. She couldn't help but watch Brynn get up and walk away. Another hard swallow before averting her eyes when Brynn bent over to grab something inside the fridge. She wanted to laugh at herself. She couldn't have predicted that when she woke that morning she'd be lusting after a lost, dirty woman with unshaven legs. Farmer's hazy eyes cleared when she heard glass clinking together, she refocused to see Brynn walking back over holding two beer bottles.

"I assume beer is okay?" Brynn asked as she sat down.

"I love beer," Farmer cheerily replied as she popped the top off and took a hearty swig. Setting the bottle down, Farmer couldn't help notice that the more normality that corralled Brynn, the less broken and unhinged she seemed. Farmer decided that after supper with full tummies, she was going to sit Brynn down and get to the bottom of her predicament. But first, Farmer offered her hand to Brynn who had been sitting there trying to open her beer. "Give it here," Farmer said and wiggled her fingers, indicating that she wanted the bottle.