Spring Breakin'

Finally. The day I've been waiting for, for the past 4 months. It's Friday. School just finished. It's spring break. I'm a 17 year old girl who has never gone to parties, never has had a drop of alcohol to drink, and never has had a boyfriend..or a first kiss for that matter. I just don't find it necessary at this time. I'm the "innocent" one as my friends calls me. Is it wrong that I go to church every Sunday? All that mattered to me in high school was getting the grades to get me out of there and hopefully to a nice uni in England. Of course, Canada is a wonderful place, but I've been living here for too long. I'm thinking it will be nice to get out of here for once. Which is why, I've never been more excited to go on this cruise! My dad, mom, little brother and I fly to Miami, get on the cruise ship and head off to the Bahamas. This is the break I need and deserve.

"Dana! Have you helped Liam pack his bags?" Mom yells from downstairs.

Liam is the little brother that every sister would love to have. He gets on my nerves sometimes, but being six years older than him, I feel a sense of responsibility and I love it. I help gather and fold his clothes and place them neatly in his suitcase.

"How excited are you Liam? I feel like this is going to be the trip that we are going to be telling our grandkids about!" I say, not being able to contain my excitement.

"As long as there is wifi on that ship and I get to play Minecraft...it'll be a great trip." He says and I roll my eyes with a loss of enthusiasm. This boy is not living life.

I go back to my room and pack the last of my clothes and makeup. I really didn't wear much makeup. Usually I conceal the little red and dark spots on my lightly tanned skin, line my upper and lower lash line, apply mascara and a little bit of blush. That's all. It's nothing. I tend to leave my hair down. It allows me to feel more secure. My style is laid back and casual. I prefer sneakers or heels, any day. Knowing that I would be on a cold, five hour flight, I pick out a comfy hoodie I recently bought from PINK, and a pair of grey sweat pants.

It's five past twelve pm and our flight leaves in less than two hours. My parents have been honking at me from outside our house as I pick up my last few items before we leave for a week. I grab my iPhone, it's charger and my headphones, and lazily pull on my pair of Uggs as I race out the door and jump in the car.

The drive to the airport was long. At least forty minutes. I force myself to sleep on longer car rides so I don't get sick. As soon as we get to the airport, I open the trunk of our car and help my parents with the luggage. Airports make me feel so giddy. It's the feeling of being able to leave all the stress of real life behind and being able to relax. We enter the airport and as my parents check us in at the front, I connect to the free wifi that our airport offers. Thank the lord for free wifi. A bunch of text messages were popping up on my home screen, including one from my best friend, Vanessa, saying:

"Babbbe! I hope you have the best time on this cruise! Party it out haha you better not be sitting inside your cabin all day! Explore!! meet new guys ;) just get out there and experience life! Stop being so sheltered! Will miss you and Love you!"

Well she isn't wrong about the experiencing life part. She definitely experiences life to the fullest. Meets a new guy every weekend...goes to parties every weekend...gets drunk every weekend..I honestly don't know how we became friends. I guess our complete opposite personalities balanced each other.

I guess maybe I could be a little bit more crazy this week! I should get out there! Get out of my comfort zone! I'm not excited to see how that goes.

After my parents check us in, we headed to our gate. We made it on time with thirty minutes to spare. I scroll through my Tumblr and reblog funny posts and pictures of sunsets and couples. It's funny how boy crazy I am, considering I've never actually had a boyfriend. Sometimes, the thought of it sounds incredible. The thought of having someone to cuddle with and hold. Someone to tell you good morning and good night. Someone to kiss. It all sounded so beautiful but absolutely terrifying at the same time. I'm not embarrassed to say I haven't kissed a boy and I'm seventeen. I'm also not embarrassed to say that I've had some pretty vivid fantasies with specific celebrity boys.

As my daydreams and thoughts consumed my mind, I didn't hear my mom telling me that our flight has begun boarding. I snap out of whatever world I was in, grab my bags and enter the flight.