07 | acceptatio

It has been two days now

It has been two days now. Two days since she got to know that her mom wasn't dead, better yet, that it was the most worshipped goddess in the whole world, the goddess of life. A humourless laugh left her as she realised that she was the daughter of Life and Death.

She hadn't even talked to her mom yet. Mom. It tasted bittersweet on her tongue and she couldn't believe that it's true. That all her life, she was robbed of the chance to have a normal life and normal parents that actually cared about her.

Her parents hadn't even bothered having her, and instead they had left her at the orphanage. And that was exactly why she hadn't talked to Vienna, her mom, yet. Because she felt ashamed and unwanted. Because even though she knew that her dad loved her, it didn't seem that believable right now.

And everywhere she went, all she could see were the other kids giving her side looks. All she could hear was the whispers that followed her. That's why she had spent the last two days mostly in her room, only going out late at night to sneak some food into her room even though she had lost most of her appetite.

"Come on, Lee. You haven't come out once in two days. Please, have you even had anything to eat?" Lee heard Khayme whisper from outside her dorm door, but she ignored it, letting Khayme's voice call her name once more, but this time, she also heard another voice, a male voice.

"Here, let me try. You can go have dinner, I will get her with me." It was Slane.

She ignored him too, burying her head further into her pillow as she heard him call her name again. She didn't want to meet anyone, not with how vulnerable she was right now.

"Lee, please. It's been two days. You have to come out."

"Can't you just go away!" she shouted, her own voice muffled by the pillow.

For a second, Slane doesn't reply, and Lee finally gets up from her bed, walking over to the door where she slid down to the ground. Sitting there with her back against the door and her head tucked between her knees as another wave of emotions crashed over her.

"I don't want to go away, Lee. I want to be here. And even if you don't want to come out, can you at least let me in?" he asked in a whisper. This time, Lee listened. She slid to her right, reaching up to open the lock.

"It's open." she said, not lifting her head up from between her knees.

A second later, she heard the door open, and Slane walked in, closing the door behind him before he took a seat on her left.

Neither of them say anything for a while, and Lee just keeps her head on his shoulder, letting him keep his arm around her's.

He pulled her in, letting her rest her head against his chest, and the closeness made Lee break all over again. Tears didn't come this time though. Her tears were all dried out. This time Slane just felt her body shake with sobs, taking in sharp breaths.