Chapter 1

Lanying Kir-Zhengyi loved wearing disguises it was like playing an elaborate game of dress up

Lanying Kir-Zhengyi loved wearing disguises it was like playing an elaborate game of dress up. Of course, wearing a disguise was a bit more dangerous than just playing a game of dress up. There was often a set of risk and reward that came with the thrill of playing a different character. More often than not, if one put on a disguise, they were trying to infiltrate and seek out any potential information. If Inej was the spider that climbed and spied, then she was the messenger that gathered all the secrets.

This was the predicament that Lanying Kir-Zhengyi now found herself in. She was dressed in a light emerald green silk dress, her hair dyed the colour red and parading around in the Emerald Palace, the crowning jewel of the Dime Lion's establishments, and the pride and joy of Pekka Rollins as one of his girls. It wasn't hard to fit in as the girls wore similar silks and had their hair dyed a particular unnatural shade of red in an effort mimic that of Kaelish girls.

There had been talk of the Dime Lions and Black Tips trying to gain more sway in the city by any means necessary. Inej was sent to observe the Black Tips and Lanying was assigned the task of spying from the inside of the Dime Lions. It was a very difficult task mind you, and only one that both Kaz and Kasper had claimed that only Lanying could do. The downside of being the only one able to alter her appearance to lower the chances of detection.

If she was found out, Lanying knew, nothing good would await her as a member of a rival gang. A rival member caught looking for valuable information nonetheless. But it was her job, and every crow risked their lives every day in a never ending gamble. One wrong move, they would lose it all.

It had all started three days ago, when Kaz and Kasper received word that there had been sightings of Dime Lions on the Dregs turf. Kasper had called Lanying to the office the brothers shared in the dead of night and had asked her to infiltrate the Dime Lions.

─── ∘°❉°∘ ───

Lanying knocked on the door of the office that Kaz and Kasper shared

"Come in." Kasper's voice rang

Lanying pushed open the door and closed it behind her. Kasper had moved to meet Lanying halfway across the room where he handed her a piece of paper. Lanying opened it an read,

Dime Lions spotted on our turf. Beware. - Anika

"Dime Lions? In Dregs territory?" Lanying asked incredulously. "The audacity."

Kasper nodded solemnly. "Aye, that they have. Per Haskell wants it fully investigated before we pursue it any further."

"I assume that's where I come in?" Lanying asked

"Yes. I want you to get inside the Dime Lions and report back to me."

"Kasper, I don't want to be that person, but every time an infiltration mission comes up. I'm the go to person."