7- Labels

I already accepted the fact that the Jollibee meal will be the first and last time I would get the chance to spend time with Zarces. I thought of it as his token of appreciation to me for being a newly found friend then would be able to carry on with my life—I would have settled with that. But except it didn't end there and who was I to decline his offers?

He's a busy person; one second we know he's here then maybe in a minute he's off to God knows where. But he was casually talking to me through chat no matter how busy he was in real-time. The thing was that I don't want to assume things again.

Today, he told me that he was going to be exposed again outdoors to see the renovation progress of the unit he was investing in. Ang sinabi ko sa kaniya ay wag pabayaan ang sarili niya, he's still prone to injuries and infections specially with that newly healed leg of his. I just found out how workaholic Zarces is and for him who recently just got into major surgery, I know it wasn't gonna work well with his health.

"Oh, Doc E!" I jolted as I saw him coming my way "I haven't seen you lately. Been busy?" I asked and we were both standing near the counter of the station.

"Oo eh but I came to bring you something." he handed me an invitation with gold linings along the edge of the paper and the letters were written in an exquisite cursive font-an invitation "Raoise, birthday ko kasi next week and I was wondering if you could come."

"Are they coming?" tanong ko, pertaining to my friends pretending to be doing something in the station though I know very well that they're listening to our conversation. Evon smiles and nods at me, giving me a hopeful smile. But I gave him an unsure stare, hindi kasi ako sure kung may duty ako niyan and nakakahiya rin namang hindian si Evon. I guess it wouldn't hurt to pull some strings and mess up my schedule once in a while, right?

When he realized that I was taking so long to tell him my answer, he slightly frowned and gave me a pleading look.

"Oo na nga" I conceded.

"Thank you, Raoisie. Here... You can wear this to the party." his smile reached his eyes even when he was pulling something from his white coat. I felt their eyes on them and it was making me feel uncomfortable dahil baka kung ano ang isipin nila but it was too late to stop him from capturing my wrist in his warm hands as he carefully locked a silver butterfly chain bracelet.

"Evon, this is so pretty" I pursed my lips "Thank you for this, I'll return it."

"Like my heart, it's yours to have."

I heard my fellow nurses squeal, overhearing what he said. I didn't know what to respond to his one-liners and pick-up lines every time he throws one at me. Hindi lang ba ako comfortable o baka hindi ko lang talaga mahanap ang tamang mga salita at masaktan ko siya sa kung ano mang lumabas sa bibig ko.

"Bye, Nurse Owi. See you guys!" he waved at them and then left.

At ako na naman ang pinaulanan ng tukso at pampepressure ang mga kaibigan ko after that scene. Panay ang comments at parinig nila habang ako ay nanatiling nakatutok sa papel at phone, just ignoring them completely "Ay basta kung ako yung isa diyan aba G na ako agad doon kay Doc E pero hindi ako yun eh. Oh siya, puntahan ko muna si patient ko ha. Toodle-loo!" kumento ng isang kasamahan ko na siyang dahilan para mahina akong natawa. 

Sorry, mga teh, hindi niyo ako madidiktahan kasi may nauna na.

I felt the urge to look behind my back, it was like someone was scrutinizing me from a distance. I wasn't wrong after all.

My heart fluttered; racing so uncontrollably with each passing second as his distance cut a little more closer to me.

"Andito ka? You said you were busy and it's late" pigil ngiting sabi ko, feeling conscious of how I looked but I just couldn't avoid his eyes. My face felt warmer.