Chapter 1: The Future

Man: Come along, son. I'm in the laboratory. You won't want to miss this.
Son: I'm coming, Dad.

The man is an inventor and manufacturer, often working on online game technology, coding, and other online or real-life inventions. His son Riko, whose name was partially inspired by the name Kirito, was always an avid fan of video games growing up, and Kirito was one of his inspirations and role-models. However, due to the current, dwindling state of online gaming, his passion and drive for the games and its associated technology have slowly started to fade, despite his father continuing to work in that field. The father took Riko on a trip to his laboratory, where he has been working on something special.

Riko: Most inventions and technology you've shown me have been the same technology and coding stuff for online games. It kind of becomes the same after a while.
Inventor: Well, they're not entirely the same, but I guess I can see your point. However, this invention is different.
Riko: Really? How so?
Inventor: Do you remember how I told you and your mother lately about how I was helming a project to invent something that could change the world?
Riko: Yeah.
Inventor: Well, here it is.

He flips the light switch to reveal a small chamber with a then-typical VR headset that has been used for online games like Alfheim, GGO, and others from Kirito's time.

Riko: What is it?
Inventor: I call it...The World-Changer 1 Project, or WC1 for short?
Riko: "World Changer?"
Inventor: I'll come up with a better name later.
Riko: It looks like a high-tech version of a typical VR headset.
Inventor: It is, but to a certain degree. People usually use these headsets for virtual simulations into the various worlds of online gaming.
Riko: Would this one do the same thing?
Inventor: No. It is a simulation like the rest of them, but the simulation allows you to go back in time. You could travel to any time period or era you see fit.
Riko: That sounds cool. Could I change the future, or history?
Inventor: Sadly, no. Anything you experience or do will all be part of the simulation, and nothing will actually affect history in the real world.
Riko: Oh.
Inventor: However, this first project is just the beginning. But in order for the project to work for the reason I built and started it for, I will need your help.
Riko: I don't know, Dad. I've been feeling iffy on playing online games lately.
Inventor: I guess the restrictions and tracking of personal info sucks the fun out of it after a while, huh? Well, you won't have to worry about that.
Riko: Where exactly would I be heading to in this simulation?
Inventor: With this project, I would send you back 100 years in the past, back when SAO was about to launch. I have devised a plan that will allow you to get into the game, get in contact with the real world while you're in the game world, and save both the players who were trapped in the game AND the world of online, VR gaming as we know it.
Riko: I will admit that that sounds promising.
Inventor: You'll even get to do it alongside your hero, Kirito.
Riko: Kirito? For real? I'm...not so sure about this, Dad.
Inventor: Don't worry, son. I have taken everything into account, including the fact that he might not initially believe you if you tell him that you're from the future.
Riko: Ok. Though I'm a bit nervous meeting someone like that.
Inventor: It will definitely be surreal at first, but don't worry. Once things get kicking, you'll have nothing to worry about. You won't be too skeptical after you see what happens for yourself.
Riko: If you say so. But...this still seems like a big thing. Can I think it over for a while?
Inventor: Of course. You can take as much time as you'd like to think about it. I partially built this project with you in mind, but at the end of the day, it's your choice. Some of the people from Kirito's time were never given a choice for something like this, or anything else involving the games that they played. I'm not going to make that mistake.
Riko: I don't think they necessarily made a mistake, Dad.
Inventor: Well, one person did, but I'm getting ahead of myself.
Riko: Even if I decide to do it, won't this still not affect anything in the real world? You said that this would be a simulation.
Inventor: It will be a simulation, but the data we collect from your experience in the past will help us for future research and experiments. I'm looking to eventually use this technology and project to make time-traveling a reality.
Riko: Ok. Well, thanks for showing it to me, Dad. I'll think it over.
Inventor: No problem, son. And thank you for letting me show you my idea. Now let's get home. Your mother is probably cooking dinner as we speak.
Riko: Sounds good, Dad.

That night, while lying in bed, Riko started considering whether or not to participate in his father's project. He then remembered when he was younger and online gaming, as well as Kirito, meant everything to him. He thought to himself:

"A world where online gaming wasn't suppressed and looked down upon like it is now. Where it would be back to its former glory. Hmm...now that I'm thinking about it, that would be nice."

He smiled as he thought about this and eventually drifted off to sleep. After some time passed for him to think it over some more, he eventually went to his dad and said:

"Dad. After thinking about it for a while, ...I'll do it."