Chapter 20: The Epilogue

Back at the lab, Riko and the others exited their chambers and took off their headsets. Outside of their chambers, they were greeted with applause from the inventor, the other scientists and lab employees, and even each of their families, whom they embraced as they walked over to them.

Inventor: I'm so proud of you, son.

Riko: Thanks, Dad.

Kiyu: I'd say we did a pretty good job.

Kez: Good? We did awesome!

Gus: I can agree with that.

Ui: Me, too. I just wish we managed to stop Kayaba before he still killed himself in the end anyway.

Inventor: I feel you. But with that being said, don't you feel so much better after experiencing all of that?

Ui: As bittersweet as it may be, I absolutely feel so much better.

Ui's mom: And I'm glad you feel that way. I'm honestly really happy that you feel as though this "family burden" lessened. If you're happy and content about it, then I am, too.

Ui's dad: And I'm sure your great-grandfather is looking down on you right now, proud of what you have done.

Ui: Thanks, Mom. Thanks, Dad.

As she embraced them, Riko asked his father:

"Do you think I'll ever see Kiri-...er, Kazuto or the others again?"

Inventor: I can't say for certain. What I do know is that there will be more "World-Changer" projects, or "missions" as you guys like to call them, in the future, and you will probably see them again then.

Riko: But then we would have to start from scratch, and they wouldn't know who we are.

Inventor: That is true. However, we have captured data from your experience in SAO and the time-traveling simulation. I could see if I could extract that data so that you could somehow use it.

Riko: Thanks, Dad.

Inventor: You're welcome, son.

Ui: Do you know if we'll ever perfect time-traveling technology so that we can actually change the past?

Inventor: I'm not sure yet. Though as much as I despise Kayaba and what he's done, his accomplishments have taught me one thing.

Riko: What's that?

Inventor: That if you put your mind to it, especially nowadays with the technology that we have, anything is possible. So while I can't say for certain that we will achieve or discover time travel someday, I'm going to remain hopeful.

Riko: Well then, I'm stay hopeful, too.

Ui: I agree to that.

Inventor: For now, would you all like to head to the diner for a little victory dinner?

Riko: Sure, why not.

The other group members and their families agreed as they exited the lab. Riko and his newly found friends agreed to hang out and play online games with each other every now and then after bonding from this shared experience. He believed that, like Kirito and his friends, that they were destined for greatness. And there was some truth to his statement. After all, unbeknownst to them, each of them were actually named after key figures in Kirito's journey, or rather, their names were derived from those past figures in some form.

Riko's name was taken from Kirito.

Ui's name was taken from Yui.

Gus' name backwards was Sug, which is short for Suguha.

Kez' name backwards was Zek, which is short for Zekken, otherwise known as Yuuki Konno.

Kiyu's name can be considered an amalgamation of Yuki or Yuuki like Asuna Yuuki or Yuuki Konno.

After some time passed, when Riko was looking to get back into playing online games after a long hiatus, his father had a gift to give him.

Inventor: Hey, son. I want you to have this. A little gift from me to you.

Riko: Thanks, Dad.

It was a flash drive with all of the data from the simulation that could be connected to his headset.

Riko: Hold on, guys. I'm coming.

The End