Chapter 10: The Interrogation

Outside of the game world, Kayaba was being questioned and interrogated at a police station.

Cop 1: If the gamers in Sword Art Online are still safe, then explain these news reports on the TV. Parents can't wake their kids up, some are being taken to the hospital, and the headsets can't be removed because it leads to death, according to Ui. What do you have to say for yourself?

Kayaba: But...h-how did they manage to contact the outside world from inside the game?

Cop 1: Answer the question! Explain yourself!

Kayaba: The players are still alive inside the game world. They cannot be freed until the game is cleared. If they die in the game, then the NerveGear headsets will kill them in real life.

Cop 2: And why did you add that to your game?

Kayaba: I...honestly can't recall. I've been working on this so long that I forgot why I added it. All I know for sure that I was looking to add this feature regardless.

Cop 1: Well, unless you have a concrete reason, we'll have to go with what the witness who saw your message in the game last night told us about your message and the reactions of those around her inside of the game.

Cop 2: And by holding these players hostage, as well as the death threat, we cannot let you go unless you help us put an end to this.

Kayaba: There isn't really anything I can do outside of the game. ....But if I must.

Cop 1: Yes, you must. As far as we're concerned, you broke the law, and something as bas as this isn't exactly something you can simply just get away with.

Another cop enters the room to try and ease the tension.

Cop 3: Settle down, gentlemen. Let's take this one step at a time.

Kayaba: What would you like me to do?

Cop 3: We'll most likely be receiving updates from the, for lack of a better word, whistleblower, and you will guide us from there as a means of ensuring everyone's safety inside the game and return to the real world.

As this is going on, the phone operator at the desk informs Ui of what's going on.

Ui: Thanks for informing me, sir. In the meantime, try asking him where "Yui" is.

Moderator: Ok. The girl claims that there is also a girl trapped from everyone else in the game named Yui.

Cop 1: Where is this "Yui" girl being held?

Kayaba: I ordered her via a directive to not get involved with any players or the gaming world. She is to stay inside of the mainframe under my orders.

Cop 1: So basically, she's another hostage.

Kayaba: No, no, that's not exactly it-

While the policemen took care of Kayaba, Ui returned to Riko to inform her about someone else that they're looking for.

Riko: So if I'm remembering correctly, there are only 2 people left for Kirito's team?

Ui: That is correct, and I think one of them was last seen by some ruins and a staircase towards the edge of town. I overheard a couple of players talking about her and how she was wearing a red coat to hide her face. I have a feeling that might be her.

Inventor: I think that's how Kirito met her in the first place, but I think it's a pretty safe bet.

Riko: I'm assuming this is Asuna we're talking about?

Ui: Yes.

Riko: Ok. I'll head over there now to look.

Riko headed to the ruins while the rest of the team worked with Lisbeth, Agil, and the other flyers to prepare for the next day.