Chapter 17: The Top Floor

After navigating through the top floor and battling various monsters, both groups discover Kayaba's SAO persona Heathcliff in the Ruby Palace.

Kez: Well, well, well. If it isn't the Argus terrorist.

Heathcliff: So, you're the ones who were able to contact the outside world about the game.

Riko: No need for introductions. We know everything about you.

Heath: Fans of my work?

Ui: On the contrary. We've come to stop you. For good.

Heath: Strong words for such a small group. I've seen your efforts. I've seen how strong you managed to overcome my world's limitations, coding, and *looking at Yui* the Cardinal's directive. However, I am able to bend the rules in my favor.

Suddenly, Heathcliff split into 10,005 copies of himself; the equivalent of the number of players trapped inside of the game, including Riko's team.

Ui: You managed to get back into the game and manipulate it? But...how?

Heath: I could've helped you. I could've helped all players conquer this game floor-by-floor before coming face-to-face with me as the final boss if they were strong enough and survived long enough. But because of this little oversight that you put me in in the real world, I couldn't do that.

Kirito: Helped us?

Asuna: What is he talking about?

Ui: How did he make this many copies of himself if he was in jail? No...it can't be...

Riko: You could've helped all players? Helped them?! Helped us?! You would've only delayed their deaths due to this game that you created! You don't care about any of these players! All you care about is yourself!

Ui: Wait a minute. How were you able to affect the game - let alone enter the game - if you were arrested? There's no way you had a NerveGear or the police gave one to you.

Heath: You're right. I didn't have access to a NerveGear. So let's just say that between me and the police, one of us took a wrong turn, and I was able to return to my NerveGear.

Ui: No. You didn't...

Heath: And I made sure that no one will be able to find me again in the real world!

Kirito: What are you saying? You work for Argus. How would no one be able to find you?

Ui: ...He did. No...no....NOOOO!

In a fit of rage of fury after realizing that they failed to stop Kayaba from committing suicide and preventing them and the police bring her to justice like they had hoped, she charges into the seemingly never-ending army of Heathcliff clones, and rapidly attacks them. In retaliation, the clones crowd around her and attack her. Riko realizes as she fights them that her HP is rapidly depleting. To prevent her HP from reaching 0, he signaled Kirito and Asuna to charge into the field of Heathcliff's and get her out of there, even if she resisted. While dragging her out, the rest of the group retreated to outside of the palace where the Heathcliff's most likely wouldn't attack them.

Riko: Phew. That should buy us some time while we're out here instead of in there with that army.

Kirito: What were you thinking, Ui?!

Ui: But we failed! He killed himself! I couldn't have avenged, or fully avenged, my great-grandfather's death!

Asuna: Your great-grandfather?

Ui: He died in this game! He can't get away with this! Beating him in this virtual, FAKE world is not enough!

Riko: But this isn't fake, Ui.

Ui: Yes, it is! All of this is fake! This is just a simulation!

Inventor: Ui! Calm down! Listen to me and the others for a second.

Ui eventually collected herself emotionally to hear what the inventor had to say.

Ui: What do you want, boss?

Inventor: You are right. This is a simulation. But what you and your teammates have been able to accomplish isn't fake in the slightest. Like I said before we begun this mission, your experience in SAO would give us data for future projects, and it did.

Riko: And not only that, but this experience brought the five of us together.

Kiyu: We can trust each other.

Riko: And even if Kayaba is dead outside of the game world, you can still avenge your great-grandfather and your family, despite being in the virtual world. Even if he's dead, that's still Kayaba. His soul.

Inventor: Remember that Kirito talked to the real Heathcliff as Aincrad crumbled underneath them. You're still technically facing Kayaba head-on.

Klein: Sorry to barge in. I don't know what your boss is telling you guys since we can't hear him, but I will say that in addition to what guys have done, you've brought us together. This elite team.

Asuna: I would say that you have affected all of our lives. Even if it's not real to you, it's real to us.

Kirito: And we're grateful for everything that you guys have done for us, and for this game.

Ui: *crying* I'm sorry. I'm sorry to all of you. I don't know what to say.

Lisbeth: Just say thank you. That's all you really need to say.

Ui: Ok. *breathes in deeply* Thank you. All of you.

Riko: You're welcome. Now, shall we go in and finish this battle together?

Ui: Yeah. Let's do it.

Lisbeth: Before we do, we just wanted to say something to you.

Silica: Thanks for bringing us together.

Agil: We've been pretty tight with each other since we've met.

Klein: And I kinda like it.

Agil: Me too.

Kirito and Asuna nodded in agreement to these statements.

Riko: You're welcome. And thank you for all of your help. This wouldn't have been possible without you.

Yui: Wait! If this game ends, what will happen to me?

Riko: Oh. I'm glad you brought that up. You're just as important to this group as anyone else. But...I don't know how to guarantee your safety.

Inventor: I have an idea. Way back when, Yui would be able to hide inside the local memory of Kirito's NerveGear rig while he was in Alfheim. If I remember correctly, Kirito used the same rig for both that game and SAO. Yui might be able to enter his rig's memory from SAO. Tell her to try it.

Riko: Ok. We've just been told that you could try hiding in Kirito's NerveGear rig memory. Would you be able to locate it?

Yui: I think so. I should be able to locate it.

Ui: Ok. Let us know when you find it.

Yui: I will. I don't think it will take too long.

Riko: I guess we'll see. With that taken care of, would you do the honors, Kez?

Kez: *blows a whistle* SAO! Assemble! Let's go in there and kick some Heath butt!

As both groups rushed back into the palace, the rest of SAO's players - all alive and well, as the team had hoped for - surround the palace grounds to head inside with the heroes for the final showdown.