Chapter 5: The Preparation

Ui: Rise and shine, team! Did you sleep well?

Kez: Yeah. Did you?

Ui: A little bit, but I kind of stayed up last night for a while to finish my communication devices.

Riko: Who could we call first? We don't know anybody from this time period, or at least not personally.

Kiyu: I guess a good place to start would be calling the police and telling them what's going on.

Ui: Do you think they'll believe us?

Kiyu: Worth a shot. Since it's been nearly a day since this game went online and no one has woken up yet, I'm sure their parents have taken some notice by now.

Ui: Ok. You guys have breakfast and I'll take care of that. Are you there, Inventor?

Man: No, he hasn't arrived yet. It's still early and isn't time for his shift yet. What's up?

Ui: Do you know the police force's number from this time period?

Lab Monitor: No, but I'm guessing it'll probably be the same number as the one from our time period. Try that number first and we'll go from there.

Ui: Ok.

Ui dials the police number, which turns out to be the same.

Operator: Hello, this is the police.

Ui: Hello. My friends and I are trapped in the game Sword Art Online, and I fear that other players may not be waking up either because of it due to the headset for the game.

Operator: If you're trapped in a game, how are you able to contact us?

Ui: I'll explain everything later.

Operator: Ok. Can you tell me where you are now?

Ui: In the park near the game shop.

Operator: Ok. We'll send a police car over to check you out. Can you stay on the line, please?

Ui: Yes. Just give me one second.

Operator: Sure.

Ui: I'll stay here to talk to the phone operator so the police can find out what's going on. In the meantime, you four head outside and give everyone their instructions on what to do.

Lab Monitor: Also, the inventor wanted me to tell you that he will tell you who to look for from this time period. They will aid you on your journey.

Riko: Does this include Kirito?

Lab Monitor: Probably.

Riko shudders.

Kiyu: Are you okay, Riko?

Riko: Yeah. It's just that I've idolized him ever since I was little, and now, I might meet him face to face.

Kiyu: I'm sure it'll be surreal, but we'll be there to make sure everything goes according to plan.

Riko: Ok. Thanks.

Operator: Ok. I've just been informed that a police car with 2 cops and an ambulance are there. Are you and your friends the ones wearing the headsets and laying down?

Ui: Yes.

Operator: Can you move?

Ui: No. As long as we're in the game, we can't move.

Operator: Do you need help taking the headsets off?

Ui: No. Please do not remove the headsets. The creator of the game - Kayaba Akihiko - told us and the other players trapped inside the game that in addition to dying in real life if we die inside the game due to the headsets frying our brains when that happens, if we try to take off the headset, it will still kill us anyway.

Operator: Do you know where Kayaba Akihiko is?

Ui: No, but I'm assuming he's at Argus Headquarters, since he's the head of that company if I remember correctly.

Lab Monitor: Tell the operator to have the cops hurry on arresting him because I believe he eventually committed suicide.

Ui: Please hurry to Argus. I was told that he's supposedly planning to kill himself.

Operator: Are you sure you're not making any of this up?

Ui: Yes. I promise.

Operator: Ok. We have cop cars en route to their building now. Would you like to be taken to the hospital, along with your friends?

Ui: No thanks. I'll let you know if we need that or not, or I'll call back.

Operator: Ok.

Ui: *whispering to herself* Yes!

Operator: Did you say something?

Ui: Nope. Nothing.

With the plan to arrest of Kayaba in motion, the rest of the group head to the plaza fountain that Ui mentioned the day before to brief everyone on the situation, what they should do next, and who they should track out for assistance on their mission.