38 || Reese

The drive back to Toby's house is full of "simp" jokes, all from Toby and directed towards Amie and Reese—for obvious reasons. Amie is exhausted even though she'd slept on the plane, and she sits with her head on Reese's shoulder in the backseat.

Reese can't tell if she's asleep or not, but her breathing is soft and she hasn't moved for probably twenty minutes. He shifts a bit so Amie's neck isn't at a weird angle and looks out the window past her, smiling at the stars in the paling blue sky.

Toby just drives, one earbud in with music almost audible, eventually making a turn familiar to both of them at this point and arriving in the neighborhood where the three boys had been living for the last few months.

Nobody speaks for a bit, just enjoying each others' presence, and as they drive down the street Amie's eyes drift open and her head lifts up from its resting place to look at Reese with exaggerated doe eyes. "Maple syrup."

He stifles a laugh, wondering what on earth is going on with her. "Honey."

"There's no way."

"No way, what?"

Amie snickers at herself. "No way deez nuts are gonna fit in your mouth!"

Reese just looks at her for a second, trying not to react. She seems to find it funny, then appears concerned.

"Are you okay, Reese?"

"Yeah, but I should be asking you the same thing." He shoots a glance at Toby, who's silently laughing in the front seat.

"Okay with..." she cackles, "deez nuts in your mouth?"

Reese bites back a grin. "Are you drunk? What was in the chewing gum you had? Was someone smoking crack on the plane?"

"Maybe," she says in between laughs. "No, I promise I'm not high. Don't do drugs, kids."

"We're both literally older than you."

Toby parks the car in the driveway and turns to look at Amie drily, rolling his eyes. "I am so sick of this. It sucks."

Amie looks almost hurt. "What sucks?" Then she gets it, but too late.

"You suck on deez nuts!" Toby yells, pumping a fist in the air. "Ha! Beaten at your own game!"

"Oh, shut the fuck up!"

"Sh, you're going to wake up Mr. Felfore," he continues, eyes bright. "He's always grumpy."

Reese tilts his head. "I didn't know we had a neighbor named Mr. Felfore."

"Felfore deez nuts! You both suck!" Toby cackles, eliciting another response from both the other people in the car.

"Suck on deez nuts!"

The laughter fades slowly as everyone walks inside, quieter now so as not to wake Tom, but he's in the kitchen with a cup of water in his hand. Amie shifts one of her bags and Reese takes a hint from it, coming to grab the backpack from her arms. "Good morning?" Tom asks, furrowing his eyebrows.

"Hello, British child," Amie grins, Reese gritting his teeth jokingly at Tom.

Toby steps into the kitchen after putting his shoes away. "No, ignore her, she's high on sleep deprivation, sorry." He seems completely serious, and that's why everyone finds it so funny. "Okay, Reese, show Amie where the room is," Toby directs him. "She's going to literally pass out any second."

"Noooo," she giggles, proving their point a bit more. "I don't need sleep, I've had coffee."

"Actually, no, you haven't had coffee since yesterday," Reese counters, "and you need rest." Amie rolls her eyes, but lets him tug her down the hall and up the stairs to the lemon-yellow room she'd seen so numerous times. "We're going to go to sleep for a bit."

Amie doesn't protest anymore, instead flopping down on the unmade bed. "So what's going to happen now?"

Reese scrunches his face up in confusion. "You want to talk?"

"I mean, I'm half asleep, Reese. I'll probably say something and fuck it all up." She says lightheartedly.

"I'm just going to put it out there that not much can be fucked up, if I'm being honest," Reese chuckles. "We can talk whenever you feel that you're conscious enough to start sorting us out."

Amie smiles as he lies down next to her. "Thank you."

They just lay on the bed together, a six-foot-seven boy and a five-foot-six girl squished together onto a twin bed. At one point Reese hears Toby and Tom coming up the stairs, planning their next stream, but he ignores them.

"You do know that if I sleep all day my sleep schedule is going to stay all messed up," Amie sighs.

Reese chuckles and reaches for her hand, intertwining their fingers. "I'm tired too, I'll sleep here with you."

She squeezes his hand back, moving closer and snuggling into his side. "Okay, honey."

"Amie, would you be up for a stream tomorrow?" He questions. "Any answer is fine, it's all up to you."

"Hm. I think it'd be fun. We promised the fans a stream the other day, right?"

"We did, didn't we? I played Bedwars while you were on the plane. Everyone was asking what was happening with you and why you weren't there." He decides to leave out the bit where people were being hateful and pushy about her.

Amie smiles. "Fun?"

"Yeah. I was so on edge because we were about to go pick you up, I made us lose. Niki, Wil and Sapnap weren't too happy about that, I don't think we've told them you're going to be here."

"Oh, so it's my fault now!" She giggles.

"That's not a bad thing," Reese grins, pulling the blankets over the two of them without letting go of her hand. As they lay together, falling asleep, Reese spins the too-big silver ring that's on her middle finger.

Amie feels like home, he realizes, and now that she's here Reese doesn't know how he was so okay living without her.