Chapter 10

I rolled over onto my side. I groggily opened my eyes, then flinched against the bright light. I quickly sat up, but then I knocked my head against the rock. I made a gasp of pain and clutched my head. I could feel a headache coming on. 

I rolled onto my side and pushed open the pine door. I glanced around before crawling all the way out. I reached inside to grab my backpack, but then a swishing sound made me whip my head around. 

Standing there by the river, was the girl from one. I reached my for my axe and I tore it out of my pant buckle. The girl ran forward and threw another knife. I ducked and I ran forward also. Before she could tear out another knife, I punched her hard in the stomach. 

She bent over in pain and I threw my axe over my head, ready to strike. But she elbowed me before I could. Then she quickly knocked me in the side of my head. Already sore, I grunted and got thrown to the side. 

I felt her grab a knife from her pocket, and I ducked. With many years of practice, I threw my axe to the side of her leg. She screamed in pain and pushed me to the side. She threw the knife and it sliced my shoulder, but I could feel it wasn't serious. 

We both got to our feet and examined each other, ready to strike. The girl narrowed her eyes. 

"Not bad." she smiled sarcastically. She stood up straighter, and I clutched my axe, still ready. "You're not as weak as you seem." 

I put my axe up to the side of my ear to show I was ready to throw it. The girl only stood there and looked at me. 

"How about you join the careers, Seven?" she asked. There was a note in her voice I didn't like about her. "I was just looking for tributes like you to join us." 

"Why?" I demanded. "Run out of good careers to fight for your pathetic group?"  

The girl ignored me. She took a step forward, and so did I.  

"You want to?" she asked me.  

I didn't reply, she started to talk. But I didn't give her a chance to speak. 

I dipped down and grabbed a rock by my side. I threw it hard and she ducked. But it managed to hit her in her left collarbone. She screamed and raised her knife. I twirled and and ducked behind the rock. I heard the knife hit the edge of the rock, just as I turned the corner. I peeked over the rock, my axe raised and ready. But the girl was already running over into the river.  

I ran forward, and threw my axe as hard and long as I could. My hopes high, it twirled through the air. Then, with the smallest amount of luck, it lodged itself in her spine. She let out a jerk and collapsed into the river. The cannon boomed and I ran forward. But the girl was already being swept downriver.  

I watched in dismay as her body disappeared over the waterfall. I watched at the side as she dropped, then she started to float down into the lake. 

I looked behind me, then turned back. I aimed below me, then I jumped. For a brief moment, I was flying through the hot air, then I landed with a splash. 

I found my breath back, and I swam upwards with strong strokes. My swimming wasn't the best, but I managed to stay afloat. I swam to the side where the girl was, and I grabbed her coat. I swam to the beach and crawled ashore, hidden by the bushes. My axe was still in her back, and I took it out. 

I looked up into the sky to see a hovercraft there, ready to take her body. I quickly washed the blood off my axe and ran into the forest, stumbling. I kept glancing behind me to make sure nobody was following me. 

I would've let her go, but one: this was the Hunger Games. Two: she would've told the others I was strong, and they would've come after me.

As I raced into the pine forest, I stopped and panted as quiet as I could beside a pine. I stood up after a moment and looked around. I was totally lost right now, and I needed to get back to my backpack.