Chapter 11

Look to the side for a pic of Johanna (Jena Malone)'s short hair!

-------

I walked for what seemed like dozens of miles. I was thirsty, and stupid not to fill something up with water to take with me. Now I have to find another water source. My meal didn't come with water or a drink, so I had to think of something else.

I halted in my tracks. There was the fluttering sound again. Distracted from my water problem, I gazed up into the treetops. At first I didn't see anything up there, even if I strained my eyes. But I could hear the fluttering loud and clear. It sounds like a bird is trapped and trying to excape a net, but the noise was following me.

As I stared into the trees, something whizzed by my ear. Assuming it was a knife or something, I grabbed my axe in my hands and turned around. Ready to fight, my muscles were strained.

Another thing whizzed by, and this time I caught a glimpse of something red. But when I looked for it, the thing disappeared. Now knowing it wasn't a human enemy, I lowered my axe a little. Confused, I looked in the pine tops for the red flash.

A hard jab in my arm made me whip around. It was gone again. I think I may be going crazy, because I can't find the thing that was attacking me.

Just as the thing flew past, I stuck out my axe. With a content thud, I assured it was dead. I crouched down to see the unmoving body. It had feathers and a beak- but there was no way it was a natural bird of any sort.

Its body was long, almost as long as my forearm. It had bright red feathers-that were starting to turn a pale green- and an orange beak. It's talons were as long as an eagle's, but thinner. It's head was narrow and had a long black stripe that started at it's beak, and ended on the side of it's neck. It's eyes were black and as big as a quarter.

I cautiously poked the now green creature with a stick. It didn't move, but turned even greener. This was a Capital mutt- no doubt there. It's beak was long and thin. That was the jabbing thing in my arm. I hope it didn't cause any damage to it.

Suddenly my arm went numb. It was the arm that the mutt had stabbed. I tore off my jacket and wrapped it around my waist. I took my arm in my free hand and stared at the puncture in horror. It was bleeding only a small amount, but the damage was on the inside.

Starting to panic, I stood up with the axe in my un-numb hand. I left the bird and started walking. Then pain racked my arm. Clenching my teeth, I forced myself to keep moving. It stayed like that for a long while- numb, yet painful. When I touched my arm, I couldn't feel the touch, but the pain.

Those birds can cause numbness and pain. Now I know that, and to stay clear of them if I can. Then I couldn't move anymore. The pain was too much.

Then I thought I saw Quill standing on the opposite side of me. But when I blinked, it turned out to be a tree. A moment passed before I saw snow starting to fall onto the ground. I reached forward drozily to touch it, but then it disappeared.

I collapsed onto the pine needles, pain searing my arm hard. I backed up against a tree and leaned against it sitting down. I clutched my arm and closed my eyes. 

Then I blacked out.

                                                                      *                *                 * 

I woke by snapping my eyes open. Then I closed them again as I started to feel pain. I wondered why it was getting so dark, then realized I had fallen asleep. I don't know how I could've, because this pain in my arm was like getting stabbed each time blood pumped in it. Like being stabbed multiple times, each time getting worse.