Chapter 18

"Go get 'em." I heard Hope say. Sellia rested a hand on my shoulder and tucked a piece of my short hair behind me ear. I was gently pushed forward, and I glared the person who shoved me. As I walked out into the blinding lights, my dress swished past my legs gently and I could feel the weight of mascara on my eyelashes.

   I walk over to Caesar, who stood up and greeted me, shaking my hand. "Panem, I present you, Johanna Mason!" He said, his voice echoing in the audience. Then they broke out into a cheer. I was led over to one of the two seats and Caesar sat me down in one, then sat in the other himself.

   "How are you doing, Johanna?" he asked me.

   "Good," I reply. I smiled. "Like the dress?"

   He raises his eyebrows and lets out a low whistle. "It's truly amazing, that's for sure. So... unique." The crowd murmured in agreement.

   "I love it," I say, patting down the black bottom. Sellia had also gave me black high heels that had a simple black bow on the top. They weren't to high that I couldn't walk straight, though.

   He looked up at my hair. "Love the hair too. They did a good job. It makes you look dangerous, in a way. Don't you think?" he asked the crowd. They shouted and whistled. I also agree that it did make me look dangerous. 

   "Thank you," I say politely. I was told to be on "my best behavior" by Alicia, and not to make any rude comments about anything.

   "How's it feel like to be a victor at last?" Caesar asked me.

   I shrug. "Good, I guess. Not much different." The Capitol lets out a laugh. I narrow my eyes. That wasn't supposed to be funny.  

   "Did you ever think that you were going to win victor? Or were you unsure?" he asks. The crowd waits as silent as a fox, leaning forward to hear my answer. I swear they're just like stalkers.... wanting to know every single thing about the new victor that won.

   I turned and smiled to the camera. "Oh, I knew I was going to win. It was just in my gut." I reach down with one hand and pat my stomach.

   Caesar smiles that huge white smile and also turns to look in the camera. "Well, that's good. Never doubt yourself, am I right?" 

   "Yup," I say. "Never doubted myself, that's for sure."

   "Not even when you were in the cave, when it was snowing? Did you think you were going to make it out then?"

    I narrow my eyes. "Maybe... I'm not really sure. I just knew I had to survive and make it back home."

   He smiles and takes my hand. He raises it up and says to the crowd and camera, "Ladies and gentlemen, Johanna Mason!" The crowd stands up and starts cheering loudly, drowning out any speak the Caesar tries. He kisses my hand, and I walk off the stage, people still cheering after me as I walk out behind the huge curtains.

   Sellia and Hope sit there, and they smile at me. "You did great!" Sellia says to me.

   "I told you to be polite," Alicia scolds me. 

   I smiled. "I was being polite."

   Alicia rolls her eyes and says no more. Instead Hope leads me away, down the steps of backstage.

   "We're leaving for District Four tomorrow, and we're taking a hovercraft to get there faster." Hope tells me. "You'll see your family before sundown tomorrow, okay?" I only nod, because she is still pulling me towards the door with the others following me. We have to push through a crowd of Capitol people in order to open up the elevator door. Flashes nearly blind me as people take uncountable pictures, eager to get photos of me. The doors open and we all step inside. When we do, the doors shut and we shoot upwards.