Chapter 12

I sat up and too my axe in my hand. My arm was still weak, but I could feel it now. The pain was gone, too, thanks to the pills. I have no idea what they out in them, and I don't want to really know. 

I took the path leading to the Cornicopia because I was the nearest to that. But I realized that I had to be careful. The Careers could be anywhere in this arena, and I had no idea where.  

Stupid Careers. I hate them, and so does mostly everyone. They are arrogant, self-centered, and sly. Sly, as in smart yet stupid. 

I stopped in my tracks. Stupid... I then remembered that they still think that I am weak. That means they weren't out to get me. Then what was the girl from One doing? Maybe she thought I was an easy target. That would've meant that the Careers were down by the lake because they wouldn't go out of their way to kill a weak girl. 

At that point I turned around on my heels. It would take at least half the day to get back to the lake if I don't stop walking.  

I kept up the long walk across the pine forest. I could hear the chirps of birds, but not the deathly fluttering of the mutt. I guess that they are either gone or somewhere else in the arena, torturing somebody else. 

Then I heard a bloody scream. I whipped my head up. It was the scream of a young boy, and the only young boy out of the whole tributes was.... 

Cetus. 

I ran towards the scream off to the side. I raced blindly through the pines, axe in hand. Cetus wasn't the boy to scream for attention. Whatever was attacking him was bad, or strong. 

I ran into a clearing and stopped in my tracks, panting. My heart skipped a beat when I saw Cetus lying there. A pool of his own blood surrounded him, and his eyes were wide with fear. Standing over him was a boy with a spear in his hand. 

Without thinking, I raised my axe, but interupted me before I could throw. 

"Throw that axe, girl, and this kid wil die." he said. Then he held the spear within an inch from his bloody face. I held my axe, panting. He squinted his eyes at me and observed my hair. "Johanna Mason?" 

"Step. Back." I ordered. The boy only held the spear tip to his cheek, touching him. I sighed and blinked slowly, axe still up high by my ear. 

"I thought you wanted him to die." the boy said to me. 

"Who told you that?" I demanded. 

"Oh, it's not hard to tell." he said snarkily. Then I reconised him. He was the tribute in the elevator after the training. I narrowed my eyes. 

"Just let him go." I said. "Please." 

"The weak girl begging. Isn't that pathetic?" the boy mocked me. "What are you going to do? Push me and say 'sorry?' I don't think so, princess. This little pest though he was stronger than me, but he was wrong. Just like you think you're stronger than me. You're wrong." 

I glared at him and shuffled my feet, moving closer to them. "You're so weak that you'll kill a weak boy." I corrected him. 

"I guess so, princess." the boy said. "Just back off or else you'll get hurt too." 

I paused for a minute. Then I didn't look up, but said, "No." 

"What?" he demanded, sounding mad. "I said go away, right now!" 

I looked up at him. "No, I won't. Put the spear away." 

He took a step forward, stepping over Cetus. "Make me, princess."  

I let out a scream that startled him. I took a long step forward and swung down my axe onto his shoulder. I hit him, but he ripped my axe off and tried to spear me in the stomach. But I ducked and rolled. I swung my axe into his leg and I heard a loud painful scream. He kicked and I stood up fast. But not fast enough. I gasped as he slammed his spear into my arm- the same arm that was numb. And then I took the spear, pulled with great force. I yanked it out of my arm. Now I had his weapon.