Katie

I stare at the full plate of stew that Astrid, Liam's mother, cooked for me. I just can't bring myself to eat anything yet.

"Katie, baby." Liam appears behind me and pulls me against his chest with his hands on my waist.

"I'm just not hungry." I whine but it turns into a gasp as his lips find the soft point in my neck and begin to suck softly.

"I love you." Liam whispers and I hum contentedly.

"I love you too."

Spinning around, I look up at Liam as I rest my chin on his chest. Just as he bends down to kiss me again, Eira stalks in and clears her throat.

"We need to talk, big bro." She points at Liam.

I attempt to disappear from the room, but Liam keeps his hands firmly around my waist.

"Stay." He murmurs into my hair, "I want you to stay."

I nodded as Eira sighed, I don't think she was a mean person, I just don't think she was very warm.

"Fine," Eira flops down in the seat nearest to us and kicks her heeled boots onto the table.

Liam huffs and pushes them off the table, giving his little sister a cheeky grin.

"Manners, little sis."

"Fine," Eira looks at me and rolls her eyes at her brother, I feel as if she's including me in something.

"I want you to be my Vice President when I become president."

"Really? I thought you would have asked Maddy?"

"Oh believe me, I did ask her to check, but she doesn't want it. You know how... things changed her."

Eira trails off and Liam's frown darkens onto his face, I don't know what going on, but I know Liam needs comfort. I turn and press my face into his shoulder, taking deep breaths of his scent.

"Thank you, Eira." Liam smiles affectionately at his sister, before reaching over and squeezing her hand.

Eira let's out what I would describe as an uncharacteristic squeal before she jumps up and launches into Liam's arms.

"I'm glad you're back, Liam." She beams before untangling herself from him and walking out of the room with a surprising amount of dignity.

"So..." I begin, "what does Vice President mean?"

"It means I'll be second in command," Liam explains kindly, "didn't you ever meet your father's?"

"No," I shake my head, brows furrowed as I try to remember, "I wasn't allowed to meet any of my father's men."

Liam opens his mouth to respond to what I said, but his words are cut off when the door opens.

"Liam!" A loud, male voice calls out from the hall.

Liam turns and begins to walk, I naturally follow behind.

"Grandpa!" Liam yells with a laugh as he pulls the older man into a hug.

He does the same with the older woman, exclaiming "grandma" with just as much affection.

"Sorry I couldn't be there to rescue you, son." Liam's grandfather apologising, "the shoulder's been giving me some gip."

Liam chuckles and shrugs his shoulders, I'm hiding behind him up until this point, not wanting to intrude but when Liam steps to the side, I have to greet them.

"Oh! Hello." Liam's grandmother says with a warm smile, "I'm Lila and this is my husband, Erik."

Nice to meet you." I reach my hand out to greet both of them politely.

"And you are?" Lila prompts, my gaze turns to look at Liam, waiting for his to introduce me like my father always did.

Instead he stays silent and raises an eyebrow at me, prompting me to reply.

"I'm Katie, Liam's girlfriend."

"Nice to meet you Katie, Liam's girlfriend." Erik grins as he slaps Liam on the shoulder.

"I hear Eira has made you her Vice President."

"Yep, yeah she has." Liam nods his head a little self consciously and I chuckle, leaning in to hold him.

"She won't take any bullshit, you know." Erik warns, complaining when Lila swats him for his language.

"I know, she's been like it since she was born."

"She'll make one hell of a president," Lila compliments, "just like you would have, Liam."

"Nah, Eira's the better choice." Liam announces and I couldn't be prouder of him and his words.

"And what about you, Katie?" Lila asks as we settle on the sofa.

"Me?"

She nods and I glance up at Liam for reassurance.

"I'm staying here with Liam."