Teasing Lunch

MITCHELL

We got back in to the city around noon. Nash asked me to come over for lunch, and since Sammy was still at work, I accepted. Plus, I really wanted to see my honorary nephew.

Nash hugged and kissed Kennedy as soon as we got into the apartment, and after looking her over to make sure she was alright, which she was - she looked absolutely fine- he turned to his son who was sleeping in the bassinet next to the living room couch.

"Mitch," Kennedy said and reached for me. She was dressed in a pair of leggings and a sweatshirt that was so big on her it must've been Nash's. Her hair was pulled back in a high ponytail and there was some dried spit up on her shoulder that she clearly didn't know about.

"Hey, Kennedy."

She smiled and wrapped her arms around my waist. I chuckled, and tightened my arms around her, unsure whether I was about to get a lecture, or her blessing. All I knew was that something was coming...

"Sammy told me," Kennedy said, and leaned her head against my chest as she continued to hug me. "I'm so happy for you. For both of you." She sniffled, and I felt her fidget a little in my arms, but she didn't let me go. "You two deserve each other," she continued. "I'm just so happy," she said again, and then I felt her quiver.

"Babe." Nash straightened up and looked over at us. There was amusement in his eyes, which he tried hard to keep at bay.

"I know," she said and pulled out of my arms. "I'm sorry." She looked up at me with tears in her eyes, even though she was smiling. "I just get so..."

"Emotional," Nash finished for her. "We know. It's okay."

She nodded and tried to get herself together. She was cute about how excited she got about Sammy and me being together, and since I was familiar with her behavior, it didn't bother me in the least.

"Come here, babe." Nash pulled her into his arms and she buried her face into his chest and clung to him.

Nash rolled his eyes at me, but there was a huge grin on his face.

"Ken, is this your way of telling me you never want to go on a double date?" I joked.

"No," her muffled response came from Nash's shirt.

"You're about to give him a complex, babe," Nash said and grinned at me.

I rolled my eyes and took a seat at the kitchen island.

"I'm not." Kennedy withdrew from Nash's embrace and glared up at him. "He knows that. You know that. I'm just," her bottom lip quivered again. "You know..." she waved her hand in the air and gave us both a shy smile.

"We do, Kenny," I answered. "I'll plan that double date for next year. You'll have it together by then, right?"

"Asshole," she chuckled, but at least she wasn't tearing up any longer.

"So, lunch," Nash said and reached for the refrigerator. "What are we doing?"

"It's in the oven," Kennedy responded, and rolled her eyes.

"Babe, you rock," Nash grinned.

"You don't even know what it is," she said and continued their banter.

My phone buzzed with an incoming text message and I eagerly pulled it out of my pocket, assuming it was Sammy. It wasn't. I stared at the text from my brother, who I hadn't heard from in five years. All it said was "Need cash. At least a grand."

I wasn't sure how to react to that. It upset me, of course, that the first text in five years was about him needing money. Not because he wanted to reconnect or see how I was doing. But the fact that he needed money upset me too, because I knew it must've killed him to ask. As much as I was estranged from my family, I knew him. He would've never asked me for help unless it was really bad.