CHAPTER 6. Everyday Life At SNRC

ONE WEEK LATER

  Breath rushed into my lungs as I ran through the front door carrying a basket. Zoe and Tyler both looked up from the office, where they were picking up packages for the guest rooms.

Speaking of guests, SNRC was bustling with them, and we were packed. Hence me being in a rush!

"Caledon have you working hard?" Zoe, a pretty black haired deer shifter asked. I nodded and lifted up the flour I had wrestled from the workers who were taking things off the truck.

"Yes, very hard," I agreed and flashed a smile before rushing into the kitchen. I really hadn't had a chance to get to know many people well. The Kitchen was understaffed, mostly because Caledon wouldn't let anyone work there for more than a day.

Except for me, but I didn't really feel special because of it. It just meant I couldn't stop moving. I kicked open the door and searched the large open space for the red eyed monster vampire.

He glared at me. "I said, as fast as possible!" He grabbed the basket from me. "We have to get the rolls done in time for lunch!"

I didn't bother defending myself, I learned the second day very quickly not to talk back. I began cutting the vegetables for the salad bar as Caledon wrestled with the bread machine.

"How are we doing?" The singing voice of Monica made me look up in a flash. I grinned and lifted my knife.

"Behind, like always!" I cheered, knowing I couldn't let myself get worked up over being behind on work.

Caledon did enough worrying and shouting for the both of us. "Damnit! Monica, out of my damn kitchen!"

I liked being in the kitchen, it was fun, soothing, and something I was good at. The only part I hated was that Caledon's constant shouting reminded me of my dad and mom. Which made me anxious, which made me make mistakes.

When I made mistakes, Caledon yelled at me.

It was a never ending cycle, and it has only been a week. I didn't like it, but what was I supposed to do, talk to him?! Ha!

"I - I finished the veggies, so, I'm going to check on the soup," I told Caledon softly. He raised an eyebrow and looked at the vegetables I had cut up.

"Why did you cut them so big?" Caledon demanded as he gave the machine another firm shake. I stared at his big hands, imagining him shaking me like that if I made him too mad.

"I- can fix it," I said quickly, but he shook his head and clicked several buttons on the bread maker.

"It will have to do, we don't have time - you spent too long on the cookies," he snapped.

Monica cleared her throat and sent me a tired smile. "Good luck baby," she gave my head a pat and skipped out to stalk more interns she thought were cute and worth her time.

I took a deep breath and lifted the lid off the impressively big pot of soup. I stirred it and dared a glance in Caledon's direction.

His smacking and cursing managed to make the machine magically start working again. I looked down quickly when he felt my gaze and looked at me.

"How is it?" He asked; seeming more calm now. I took a deep shuddering breath, relieved. I gave him a nod, but of course, that wasn't good enough. "Answer me verbally, Justice," I flinched.

"It's good," I said quickly and closed the lid again before realizing I hadn't even tasted it. I'm such a mess.

"T-this means we're caught up, we just have to wait for the rolls, right?" I asked slowly. Caledon nodded and glared at the dough slowly folding over itself.

I smiled, happy, and walked over to my bag in the corner of the room. I made myself comfortable on the floor and opened my small bag.

Caledon raised an eyebrow as I pulled out a book and began reading peacefully. He walked over and I tensed as his shadow shaded the words of my book.

I looked up as those red eyes narrowed on me. I couldn't contain a low sigh. "Now what?" I asked without thinking, sounding weary even to my own ears.

Caledon pointed at the book. "SNRC doesn't allow any books," he told me coldly. I felt my eyes go wide.

"I didn't know, honest!" I told him quickly, horrified. Caledon grabbed the book from me and looked at it.

"Wait, this is one of Malcus's books, isn't it?" He looked at me, and I nodded a little.

"Yes..." I admitted and looked at my bag, where more of Malcus's books were hidden. Caledon handed me the book, well, more like tossed it at me. I caught the book before it hit my face and looked at him curiously.

"It's fine if it's Malcus's, but no one else is allowed books, just so you know." Caledon told me firmly. I tilted my head to the side.

"Why can't people have books?" I questioned while blinking in confusion. Caledon made a noise in the back of his throat and turned his back on me.

"If you don't know, you don't need to worry about it." He said simply and went back to his dough. I looked at the book; imagining it jumping up and attacking me.

  "Hey, how are we doing in here?" David peeked his head in and smiled warmly. Caledon began muttering under his breath, but I tucked the book away and smiled back.

"Good sir, lunch is almost ready," I told him happily. David nodded and touched his graying hair.

"Thank you Justice, your help is very appreciated," he told me and smiled again. "If you ever need anything, don't be afraid to reach out."

I nodded, guilt burning a hole in my stomach. "Thank you, sir," my voice grew quiet. David nodded shortly before stepping out of the kitchen. I jumped as Caledon suddenly slammed the oven shut. I touched my heart as it skipped a beat.

Caledon almost seemed to growl at me. "Got something to say, little shit?" I shook my head quickly and scurried out of the kitchen fearfully.

If Caledon finds out I lied, my face lost its color, he's going to murder me. I thought shakily.

"Done in the kitchen?" I looked up at Malcus's friend, Lucas.

"Caledon can handle the rest," I said and looked at his shifting fox ears, holding in a giggle.

"You like my ears?" Lucas shifted his ears around while wiggling his eyebrows.

"Stop being an idiot," the other one of Malcus's friend's snapped and looked at me. To my surprise, she nodded and turned to walk away. I watched her and couldn't help but stare as she touched Malcus's shoulder from where he was standing by a table.

I forced my gaze away as someone suddenly grabbed my shoulder. I looked over startled.

Monica smiled. "You're sitting with me," she ordered. Lucas stepped back and sent me a wink before walking over to Malcus.

Monica was saying something, but I couldn't hear her as Malcus's dark eyes shifted to meet mine. I blushed furiously and looked at the ground in panic.

Why am I always staring at him? It's weird! I slapped my face to get my head out of the gutter.

"Uhm, you good?" Monica asked curiously. I nodded quickly.

"I'm sorry, what were you saying?" I asked swiftly. Monica grinned.

"I said, Zane Lawless, one of our main guys is coming back today, cool huh? He's great," Monica laughed and wrapped an arm around me.

Zane Lawless? My silly heart skipped a beat.