42.

Chapter Forty Two

December 26, 1946

December 26, 1946

The train rocked gently as it huffed and puffed it's way across the tracks, its lights illuminating the darkened path. The sky was blanketed in a thick layer of grey clouds, ready to burst with tears of ice any moment. With a deep sigh, a young woman adjusted her three year old in her lap, the small child watching, curiously, a girl in the booth besides them. Her uniquely coloured hair was draped over half of her face as she lay her head against the cold window.

Cerys stared aimlessly at the scenery that rushed by, combining with the darkness of the night to barely allow her a glimpse. She had left Rosier manor with the Black's and Bulstrodes, Fabula's parents having delightedly allowed her at their home to spend time with their engaged daughter and Alphard. Tom hadn't protested when she stated that she planned to leave, in fact, he hadn't uttered a word, simply humming that he understood. That was exactly what was bothering her.

It pricked her conciousness like a needle she just couldn't get a hold of. Tom Riddle had complied to her leaving, he hadn't complained, he hadn't controlled. He didn't even look up from his diary as she spoke. Cerys ran a hand through her hair, what was happening? She should be happy that the boy, for once, stopped treating her like a dog and took the leash off of her neck, that he didn't argue over her words and finally kept quiet while she got her point through.

But she didn't. Instead, she was thinking over what was going through his mind. Was he concocting a new plan and simply wanted her and her interference out of the way? Was that why he didn't even mention the effects of the horxrux? Cerys gritted her teeth. Despite having this knowledge, why did she wonder what he was doing? Why did she see a reflection of the young dark lord in the window she stared out of? Why couldn't he stay out of her head?

    A part of her feared to answer these questions, but at this point, she couldn't deny, during their trip to Little Hangelton, something had changed between them. Maybe it was the time spent together for long hours at a time, or maybe it was the events that occurred during those long hours. Either way, the air between them had shifted and Cerys was afraid to admit that she may be becoming attached to Tom, like a moth lured to a flame, the boy pulled her in with invisible strings tied to her. Even when away from him, she felt like he was still with her—that could also be because his soul was linked to her necklace.

    Heaving a deep sigh, Cerys shook her head. She could not grow attached. It was the worst possible thing that could ever happen to the Wizarding World. Merlin knows what would happen. She needed to remind herself what a twisted and cruel man he was—or would become. No matter how hard she tried to stop him from making the horcruxes and carrying out his ludicrous plan, she knew she couldn't change what he was. No matter how much Helena Ravenclaw tried to convince her otherwise, the effects of the love potion would never wear out, if they hadn't in sixteen years, there was no evidence that they would now, her many hours spent in books about Amortentia proved so.