Página Una

Hermione had always been curious of Magical Creatures. This fascination had only grown as she entered her Fourth Year at Hogwarts.

She had studied up on House Elves, learning their truly appalling conditions. She'd even set up S.P.E.W. in order to assist. Though much to her chagrin, it didn't seem like anyone appreciated itㅡ elf or human.

Now, Hermione had a new target for her creature research.

Ron had speculated countless times that the Champion of Beauxbatons, Fleur Delacour, was a Veela. There seemed to be some merit to Ron's theory. She certainly made heads turn when she entered a room. Her platinum blonde hair also had a curiously silvery quality to it, similar to the Veela Hermione had seen at the Quidditch World Cup earlier in the year.

They were a couple of weeks into the school year, the horrors of the Quidditch World Cup seeming some time ago now, and yet the memory of the Bulgarian Quidditch team's mascots burned in Hermione's mind. Hermione, who had long been horrified by Muggle sports teams that mistreated animals that matched their sports team's mascots, had been equally horrified by the use of the elegant Veela as mascots.

They looked so charming, so alluring, so regal... it cheapened them to reduce them to sexualised mascots. Though, Hermione would be lying if she said she hadn't also felt her eyes glued to the beautiful humanoid creatures. She'd been relieved that the males around her were far too concerned with controlling their own reactions to the powerful thrall of the creatures to notice her more-than-friendly appreciation of the stunning women.

It brought a blush to Hermione's cheeks to think about her reaction for too long. As if she needed another reason to be shunned by the girls in the dormitories.

No, she would focus more on academic pursuits. Questions of her attractions and sexuality were such trivial matters. They could wait to be considered another day.

A day hopefully several years from now, when Hermione was less startled by it all, that is.

Her own reaction to Veela aside, Hermione had caught a curiosity for the creatures, so they became her latest research project. They had proved a topic most elusive in the library, further stoking Hermione's eagerness to learn more.

She had even brought it up at one of the trio's visits to Hagrid's Hut, deftly hiding one of Hagrid's rock cakes in her pocket while asking if he knew of any resources on the creatures. Hagrid's baking was truly atrocious. But he was so lovely and so earnest, Hermione just had to hide his offerings in her pocket or handbag when they visited so his feelings wouldn't be hurt. As far as the overly large man knew, the trio loved his baking. Hagrid's eyes crinkled as he smiled widely, noting how fast the trio were devouring the baking. Hermione smiled politely, hoping Hagrid wouldn't notice Ron had crudely hidden two rock cakes in a pot plant beside the door.

It was near the end of their visit when Hermione asked Hagrid about Veela.

Veela, eh? Hagrid rumbled in his bassy voice. He scratched his beard thoughtfully. They're qui'e the reclusive lot. They bin keepin' themselves to themselves fer as long as they've been 'round!

There must be some books on them, though. Hermione commented, After all, wizarding folk seem to have had plenty of encounters with them.

I wouldn't mind having an encounter with Fleur Delacour. Ron chimed in, his eyes momentarily glazing over. Maybe I could help you with your research by asking her...

Hermione snorted.

She's so full of herself I doubt she would give you the time of day. Hermione shot back.