Chapter One

I sat in my room, looking at my boxes around my room that were being taken out one by one.

I was moving in with my Tio Micheal and my Tia Rosemary. My Abuela had finally passed away two days ago, so I had to move in with my Tio and Tia.

(They moved out because of some family drama I'll mention later)

Hold on, you don't even know my story do you? Well, it's not the shortest, so buckle up.

50 years ago, my Abuela and the village she lived in had to flee their village. Whilst she fled with my papí and Tia who were only infants, she heard a scream. When she had turned, she saw it was her friend, Alma. When she had reached Alma, she saw Alma's husband who was sacrificing himself to protect the village and his family. Alma was grieving when the candle she had been holding turned into a magic candle, giving the whole village a refuge in which to live.

After that happened, the village started to grow. Houses were built, and once Alma's triplets, Pepa, Julieta, and Bruno, reached a certain age, their casitá gave them gifts! Like actual magical powers! When they grew up, their kids got gifts too! Tomorrow's the youngest Madrigal's gift ceremony. Antonio is his name.

Back to my story, well, my Abuela's kids grew up, and I was born. My Tia can't have kids, and my mom passed away when I was born. My dad decided to leave me with my Abuela and try to leave the refuge. We haven't heard from him since.

My Abuela passed peacefully in her sleep, and I found her the next morning when going to wake her up. I ended up breaking down right there before running over to my Tio's house. I know Dolores (the second oldest Madrigal grandchild) heard me, so I assume she told Alma. (her gift is that she can hear everything going on inside the refuge!)

Her ceremony is being held tonight, as to not bring down the mood for Antonio's gift ceremony.

"Mi sobrina, someone's here to see you," my Tio spoke, grabbing another box to take down.

"Okay, gracias Tio," I said, standing up, grabbing a small box full of my art supplies, and we headed down stairs.

When I had reached the front door, I saw a familiar face.

"Camilo!" I exclaimed, my mood lifting a bit at the sight of my best friend.

"Hey chica bonita!" He said, taking the box from me, placing it in the wagon, before turning back to me. He embraced me and I buried my head in his shoulder. "Sorry about your loss, y/n."

I just sighed heavily in return.

"I'm also sorry I couldn't visit sooner, I've been busy," he apologized.

"It's alright," I said, pulling apart from him. "Vamos, come help me get my boxes down."

We walked up and downstairs, carrying boxes and loading them up as we caught up.

"I'm really excited for Antonio's gift ceremony tomorrow!" I spoke. While we were talking, I had cheered up a bit.

"I think we all are," he smiled widely, before frowning slightly. "I feel bad for Mirabel though."

Mirabel is my other friend, and Camilo's cousin. She's the only Madrigal who didn't get a gift. I don't remember much from her gift ceremony, mainly because we were only like 5, but I know that she felt horrible. Abuela had dragged me out before I could talk to her that night.

"Yeah..," I looked down, setting the box of canvases in the wagon. "But you know Mirabel. She'll be ignoring her feelings to make Antonio feel special."

"Yeah," Camilo said, setting the basket of sewing things in the wagon. We walked back up to get the last boxes. I grabbed the box with dresses I was sewing for some girls to make some extra change. Camilo grabbed the box with my quilt, Abuela's quilt, and her shawl.