Chapter 5

Ukai and the rest of the team gave a look of befuddlement. Kageyama ignored them and sat on the bench, desperately wanting all of the noise to stop and trying to calm himself down.

By that I mean gaslighting himself in the way his grandmother and grandfather used to do.
"It's all in your head,"
"You're being ridiculous,"
"It's not that loud,"
"Stop hiding in your room all the time,"
"Speak up more,"

Luckily for him, his parents and grandfather always stepped up for him, after all, he was only a child and it's not like he understood what he was doing wrong.

None of them had any idea of what was going on or how to help him. Tobio just continued to twitch with his hands tightly clasped over his ears, twitching and jerking.

Coach sighed. "Alright! Put the nets away!" He shouted over the thunder, causing Tobio to whimper from all the pain.

Finally seeing and hearing that his boyfriend was in pain, Tanaka immediately rushed over to him, just not sure on how to help him, like any of their teammates.

The soothing little nothings didn't do anything but worsen him, though knowing that Tanaka was only trying to help. It was sweet, just wasn't the thing he needed at the moment.

All he needed was the quietness. That was it but at the moment it was obvious that that wasn't going to happen.

"Hurts," he whispered, barely above a whisper. "What hurts?" Tanaka asked who had just managed to hear him, who doesn't know about Kageyama's sensitivity to hearing since he had never bothered to tell him.

"Everything," he whispered back, clasping the hands over his ears tighter as another crack of thunder went off.