Chapter 11 - Darcy

The departure of Miss Elizabeth—and her sister—would finally give me peace, or so I believed.

True, I had never been so transfixed by a woman. I had never been so completely and unhealthily wrapped in that witchy thrall, which the fair sex has wielded since the time began, but surely it was nothing a distance of a few miles could not cure.

Even if I wished for her to stay with me, I could not recommend her staying in this particular house and company. We could not be alone, that much I had accepted, but the environment did nothing to stimulate her mind and talents. It certainly did nothing for her happiness. I could not suppose she missed her family and acquaintances—they could be nothing to her—but this house likewise gave her no suitable conversation partners other than myself. And to think that her smiles—the few she gave out of politeness and then those borne out of genuine cheer when her sister's health had improved—were all meant for Bingley!

Bingley was my friend and for Bingley I would do much, but watching them spend time together was a slow torture. I could see she enjoyed his company, but jealousy boiled in my veins at the sight, though simultaneously I could not bring myself to deny her or prevent her from having anything that would please her.

Now, finally, I would have peace from all those feelings, and peace was what I sorely required. But first, I had to deal with Miss Bingley, who had injured me grievously.

"How happy you must be to see our guests leaving," she said, still waving her goodbyes to her beloved friend.

"You certainly are," I observed.

"I confess the company of country ladies much inferior to my usual preferences, no matter how sweet they are."

"I thought your reasons to be entirely different."

"Oh?" She looked at me then, confident in her happiness. I would destroy it—gladly.

"I thought you were pleased to see the Bennet sisters go, considering your complete and utter failure of your purpose: to ensure the separation of Miss Bennet and your brother. In direct insubordination of the course we had agreed upon, you devoted all your time to pester one sister, when you had the clear task of dissuading the other to harbor any designs on your brother, and your brother to stop making any designs on Miss Bennet. And to think that I donated my time in engaging that one obstacle in your way, only for you to squander every opportunity to act. I have no words but these for you, Miss Bingley: I am disappointed—completely and utterly disappointed—in you."

With every word, Miss Bingley's face fell and the conclusion of my speech brought her close to tears. I was cruel, and I was unjust, but my revenge was complete.

"I suppose when your brother makes that ill-conceived match a reality, bringing you down in the world, you will have nobody but yourself to blame." With that final nail in the coffin, I left Miss Bingley to her distress, promising to sooth her wounded pride with little kindnesses in some not very distant future when she will have learned her lesson. I had every faith in her as a quick study.

In my despicably satisfied mood, I aimed to tend to all my duties, which I had shrunk with my—let's call it what it is—obsession with Miss Elizabeth. For whomever I might give this advice, hear me when I say, it is best to not share a roof with the object of one's obsession, for any aims and goals of real value will suffer greatly under such a calamity.

*

My sister's caretakers all reported her to be as well as could be expected. Georgiana herself had also sent me a letter, but that I was saving for later as a reward. I had several invitations from friends and family—I declined them all, citing being engaged elsewhere. The most pressing letters were from my steward, whom I had neglected. I ought to have replied as soon as I received them, but I had been delayed because of some unforeseen bouts of insanity. I worked on them for a time until I was satisfied, and gladly opened my sister's letter, hoping for an outpouring of love and gratitude from a generous source.