You'll Never Understand

Savannah's POV

I would love to say that the following day I was feeling lighter than ever. That I had gotten the closure I needed after all these years allowing me to put the past behind me and happily move forward with my upcoming marriage. But in all honesty, I was more confused than ever. It wasn't just random after twelve years I still felt that spark when he touched my hand. All day long I had been mulling over the small parts of the conversation in my mind to the point of being distracted from all the wedding festivities going on around me. My soon to be mother-in-law had asked me before the rehearsal why I was being so spacey.

I feigned worry over work stuff. I felt myself going through the motions and a forced smile on my face. Subtle comparisons in my mind between Connor and Brantley while they both had outstanding qualities about each of them. I was so lost in my thoughts idly twirling a fettucine noodle around on my fork I jumped when Connor laid a hand on my arm grinning at me. Whitley and Ashley both stopped with wineglasses raised to their lips studying me intently.

"Sweetheart," Connor said sitting his fork down straightening his tie that he had worn with his dress shirt for the rehearsal dinner. Josh leaned around him listening carefully. "I did some thinking earlier about the song for our first dance tomorrow."

"Oh?' I asked folding my hands in my lap like the good Southern daughter I was hearing a quiet laugh from Mama about something Nana was whispering in her ear. Connor's mom was grinning like a Cheshire cat or Nana once she found out the latest town gossip before anyone else. "What's that darlin?"

"Well, I know we had agreed on "Beautiful Crazy" by Luke Combs," Connor said giving me a wink pulling a slight giggle out as I reached over squeezing his hand. Ever since that song was released he swore it was written about me and would dance me around the house any time it came on. Why it had made perfect sense to choose it for our first dance. "But since we are getting married in your hometown baby I thought it would be sweet to shake it up a little." My brows furrowed trying to figure out what song he would have picked. "How about "You Don't Know Her Like I Do" by BG instead? I love the part about my best friend," My jaw dropped at the thought of dancing to a song by the very man I had snuck out to meet the night before. Ashley broke out in a fit of coughing making me look over at her.

Nana's eyes were huge. Mama looked down at the table sheepishly. Eli let out a sigh before pushing back away from the table walking to the side of the outdoor patio shaking his head. Josh eased back from the table following him. Well, he was my ex, why was I sort of okay other than weirded out, but they were acting like this? Times like this I wondered about my family's sanity. Could they know something judging off Ashley and Eli's reaction?

"I really like our song sweetheart," I said giving him a bright smile as he shrugged his shoulders leaning over to give me a kiss. Guess I had dodged a bullet with that one. A bit later, Connor swung my hand that was laced with his when we reached my parents' front door. He made me gasp when a broad grin spread across his lips before backing me into the wooden door lowering his lips to mine in a deep kiss unlike he hadn't in quite a while because we both had been so busy. I let out a whimper feeling his tongue swirl with mine and fingers tangling in my hair. Against my will, my mind wondered what a beard would feel like compared to Connor's clean-shaven face.

My fiancé was the poster boy for All-American handsome. Cracking my eyes open, I pulled my head back upon discovering it was not green eyes I was glancing into. I covered it up with a saucy wink. "Hmmm practicing for tomorrow are we babe?"

"Yes mam," he chuckled sighing when my parents pulled in the driveway. He and his parents were staying at a hotel in Athens until right before the ceremony tomorrow. Giving me another small kiss, he backed away heading towards his truck. "I love you Savannah. I'll see you tomorrow."