Somebody's Best Day

Savannah's POV

"Here," Whitley muttered pushing a bubbling glass of champagne in my hand narrowing her eyes at me as the makeup artist put the finalizing touches on my cheeks giving me that artful blushing bride glow. "Drink that before you fall over. Nerves must be out of this world today Vannah. Be thankful for concealer because you had bags under your eyes for days this morning. Did you even sleep at all last night?"

"No," I mumbled taking a sip letting the tart crispness simmer on my tongue. I hadn't slept a wink instead sitting on the back deck staring up at the stars looking for an answer for the way I felt walking home from the high school. Nana had wordlessly settled down beside me around daybreak passing me a mug of coffee laced with a hint of whiskey. I had lost it in another round of tears when her wrinkled hand reached over laying firmly on mine.

Like she knew exactly was wrong. Maybe I'd sat there mourning everything that had or could have been. Then when Mama came out finding me and mentioning that breakfast was ready if I was hungry, I did my level best to slip the mask I needed to wear firmly in place. Looking up at my best friend, I forced a smile on my lips. "But I am great Whit, I promise. I'm getting married today. Finally."

"Hmmm," Whitley said with a raised eyebrow crossing her arms over the sea green bridesmaid dress that looked amazing with her dark hair and tan skin. Ashley stepped even with her in her matching dress slipping a dangling earring in glancing back and forth between us. When Connor and I were discussing our wedding party, he had wanted several of his frat brothers from college and a few work friends. Me, while I had ladies that I hung out with once in a while that I had met through him or his mother, all I really had that I could envision standing next to me today was Whitley and Ashley, so I pushed for only two attendants.

Thankfully I had won the discussion and got my way. Whit and Ash shared a look about to say something when Tinsley dashed in front of us as the makeup artist stepped back. I pushed to my feet tightening the belt of my white satin robe pasting a beaming smile on my face as she reached for my hand to spin around.

"I look like a princess in this Aunt Vannah!" she exclaimed making all of us laugh. Her flower girl dress was a miniature version of my wedding dress that I'd designed myself, once my dress was picked out from a designer friend of mine, hand stitching the butterflies on there by hand.. Even though she was getting to be half as tall as me, she boosted herself up on my hip giving her mama a look. "Take our picture please Mama. Send it to Daddy!"

"Yes mam," Ashley said with a laugh pulling her phone out of her dress pocket snapping pictures as we posed. Her phone rang a second later as she turned the screen so we could see it was Eli talking. She put it on speaker so she could finish snapping photos. "Hey babe. You get the photos I sent you."

"Yea darlin,'' Eli said with a chuckle making me smile at the warmth in his voice for his wife and daughter. I remember being younger and wanting what they had. Thought I had found it then it all went to hell, but things were looking up again. "Look sweetheart, I know what was asked for today." Ashely bit her lip nodding her head as my eyes narrowed in wonder of what he was talking about. "But he just can't do it. Tell Tins I said she looks like my little princess, and I know you look knockout gorgeous. We are gonna go on a ride and get B out of town til tomorrow. Me, Keith, Dad, and Ko. I promise to check in later honey. Tell Vannah I hope she has an amazing day. Hate I won't be there, but I have got to be there for B. I love you Ash."

"Love you too. Just keep me updated," she murmured meeting my questioning look as Tinsley climbed down rushing over to Whitley for her to put lipstick on her. She met my eyes with uncertainty. "Vannah..."

"What is E talking about?" I asked lowly stepping closer to her. He couldn't be in town while I was getting married is what I was assuming. The man could kiss me like there was no end in sight last night. Make my whole world spin on its axis because I felt whole again the moment his lips touched mine then push me away again because it is what he thought was best. Why in the quiet hours of the morning I stiffened my resolve to marry Connor because things would never change. Brantley would always push me away. Gritting my teeth and clenching my fists slightly I leveled my cousin with a look to tell me what was going on. "Ash...."