Ch 9

*About a week later*

For the past week I've watched Camilo slowly replace me and I've slowly been replacing him. We haven't said a word to each other since we fought. Life has been really quiet without his laughter, no matter how many new people I meet, nobody has made me miss him less. But he doesn't seem to feel that way, he doesn't look one bit sad without me. I needed to clear my head so I walked down to go to the river but my mom stopped me, "Where are you going?" she said. "My friend wants to hang out," I replied. That was clearly a lie but she nodded and let me go. I actually wanted to go walk by the river. Mom doesn't know what happened between Camilo and I and I hope she doesn't find out. I just want a distraction from him and everything that happened. I walked down to the river and sat on a rock. I grabbed a notebook and started writing in my journal but just as I grabbed my pen I heard some laughing. There was a group of girls across the river, I heard them laughing and they glanced at me "Hey, you!" I hear a girl call out. "Yes?" I reply back curiously. "You look lonely, wanna hang out with us?" she asked. "Um, sure," I answered. I knew it was a bad idea so hang out with strangers but I need a distraction right now. I walked over to them and asked "So what are your names?". "I'm Jasmine," one girl said. "I'm Tiffany," said another. "I'm Veronica and this is Francesca," said the last girl. "We're sisters," Francesca added. "How about you?" Tiffany asked. "Oh I'm Mirabel," I said. "Like Mirabel Madrigal? The only Madrigal with no gift?" Veronica asked. "Um, yeah," I replied. "That's cool," Jasmine said. "Um, how old are you guys?" I asked. "We're all 16," Veronica said. "I'm 15 but I turn 16 next week," I said. "Cool, well what's got you down?" Veronica asked. "I'm in a fight with my cousin and him and I were best friends," I said sadly. "Well you look like you could use a friend and we were just heading back to my place, wanna join us?" Jasmine asked. "Sure, thank you," I said. On our way there Jasmine said "I just wanna warn you about my annoying older brother, he's grounded right now so he's at home," Jasmine said. I said that it was fine and we walked in. Her place was beautiful, the wallpaper was absolutely gorgeous. We walked into the kitchen and I saw a tall dark haired boy sitting at the kitchen table. I knew that hair from anywhere. "Hey Jordan, um this is my new friend, her name is Mirabel," Jasmine said. Damnit, I wanted him to disappear from my mind. Just my luck. "Oh we've met before sis," he said while winking at me. As much as I hate him I still had feelings for him. "I know her from school, she's in our grade," he said. "Oh that's why you looked familiar," Veronica said. I glanced at Jordan angrily and followed the others to Jasmine's room. "So Mirabel, one day you should take us to your house, I'd love to meet your family," Veronica said. The others all agreed. "Oh yeah um, I will soon," I replied. For about two hours I listened to the others gossip while my brain kept spinning. I can't like Jordan again, he hurt me and used me to get Belinda. "Um I should get going my mom is probably getting worried and it's almost time for dinner," I said. Honestly I wasn't lying, everyone was probably eating by now. I started to walk out the door when I stopped. I wanted to say something to Jordan but I couldn't and walked off.

I got home and walked in the door trying to avoid the family but mom clearly caught me. "Where have you been Mirabel?" she asked me. "With some friends.... she offered me dinner and I felt bad saying no so I got stuck late," I replied. I walked up to my room and shut the door. About 20 minutes later I heard a knock on my door. "Come in!" I yelled. I expected it to be mom or dad but it was Jordan. "What are you doing here?!" I shouted. "Look I don't understand why you've been ignoring me," he said. "Oh you don't understand? You asked my only friend out to the dance right in front of me then got me so mad that I pressured Camilo into doing something he didn't want to do and I freaked him out then he got mad at me and it's all because of you! All of my problems right now are because of YOU!" I yelled. "Now get out of my room before I get my sister to kick your scrawny little ass!" I added, still yelling. And just like that, he's gone. "Hey you okay? I heard yelling?" Dad says from outside my door. "Everything's fine...." I say unconvincingly. I wished things would go back to normal. I needed my best friend back...