Veiled Prologue

Prologue

Dear Diary:

Tomorrow morning will mark one week since Agnar was due to return home from his hunt and didn't. Right when his family needs him the most. He left for his hunt ten days ago, and it was supposed to be routine. He'd told me it should only take him three days or so to get there, do what he needed to do, and return.

But when his mother and father awoke on that fourth day to go check on Makana and Karena their screams woke the whole neighborhood. Karena still hasn't woken up from her coma, and Makana's body is so weak he can barely lift his head. Momma told me that they took the twins to the hospital, but the doctors couldn't find any medical cause for their illness. Father made the doctors forget they'd been there and their parents brought them home.

When the doctors couldn't find anything medically wrong, it became obvious they were cursed. Daddy's doing what he can to try to discover how, why, and by who, but even he, the greatest magic user of his generation can't seem to figure out anything. We've all tried to call Agnar, daddy even did a tracking spell, but he couldn't find anything. I heard the council and him talking tonight. They all think his disappearance and the twins' illness is related.

The babies are only one year old, this isn't fair. I love them like they are my own little brother and sister. I babysit them while their parents are at work, or out of town. I'm so worried about them, and Agnar. I don't need to tell you how I feel about him. Daddy said they were going to discuss what to do tomorrow. Whether to send someone to find Agnar, or focus on the twins. I just don't know what he'll choose. I can't stand the thought of losing any of them.