Veiled Epilogue

Epilogue

It had been two weeks to the day since their battle with the Hoshana in the clearing. Since then their hometown had been completely cleared out. They'd all abandoned their homes, at least for the time being. Everyone from Ivor Svenson, who was only three weeks old to Old Lady Eshter had been relocated to Montana, only a few hours away from the sight of the battle.

Agnar had to admit he'd misjudged their clans' wealth. Olaf had purchased not one, but two hotels within the city, only ten minutes apart. One was a safehouse, housing the elderly, the young, and the few among their clan of non-magic like his mother. The council, of which he and Turid were now a part despite their age, and the fact that Turid's father would barely look at them, had placed every kind of ward they could think of on the property. Not just on doorways but on windows and scattered about the grounds.

A ring of rock, which to a veiled would just seem decorative had been placed around the property as a border. They had even found a rune that blocked entry by animals of any kind unless accompanied by one of their own. Nothing was supposed to be able to get in unless invited, and those within were told never to leave unless escorted. Even the Erinite if they were to leave would have to be escorted back in.

Several of their strongest magic users would stay behind there to protect their loved ones, including his father. Everyone else was stationed at the other hotel. There were daily practices, most of their kind were rusty, only using magic sparingly in their everyday lives, some not at all. Stamina would be the key to defeating the Hosana, if they stood any chance at all.

His physical strength was up to peak, but he was in no way back to normal. It was something he tried desperately to keep from Turid. He didn't really feel anymore. He wasn't referring to physical pain, that he could still feel. Despite Turid healing him he'd still felt sore for many days afterwards. But when it came to anger, sadness, fear, even happiness, he just couldn't feel them anymore. The only thing that helped was Turid.

Being by her side, touching her, was like a cooling balm. Still the only thing he could say he felt with her was contentment. He knew he loved her, knew being around her, touching her used to fill him with excitement.

He could remember those feelings clearly, but try as he might, he couldn't make himself feel them, and he wasn't even worried about it. The only reason he kept it a secret was because he knew it would hurt Turid. She was the only reason left for him to exist. He still knew he loved her with all his heart. He just could no longer feel it.