Veiled Chapter 4

Chapter 4: Home

It was nearing daylight, and they were only an hour or so away from home. He'd driven till about midnight when she had insisted they switch. He'd dozed off for a few hours but he was still having nightmares. He spent the rest of the time just staring out the window. There was an awkward silence most of the ride. Turid was upset about something, and it wasn't just about Rosen he could tell that much. But he wasn't sure what was wrong. He didn't like the idea of her being upset. He heaved a sigh that turned into a yawn.

"Pull over." She jumped a little and turned her head. It was the first thing either of them had said in hours, and the break in the complete silence seemed to startle her a little.

"You okay?"

"Yea, I just want to talk to you a minute." She looked confused but pulled over into a small grassy area near a field. "Come on, let's stretch our legs a little." He opened the door and stood with a stretch. Her brother's car was cramped, and he missed his own, much roomier one. He turned to see her get out and do the same.

He leaned into the hood then patted it beside him, he smiled when she had to hop a little to get up there. The sky was just starting to pinken. It was chilly, and he scooted closer to her when she wrapped her arms around herself. His instincts told him to wrap his arm around her, but he stopped himself, he wasn't sure the action would be welcome. They said nothing for a while, just watched as the sun climbed over the trees in the distance. It was a beautiful morning, too beautiful for the day they were going to have.

"What did you want to talk about?" She asked finally, they'd been sitting there for nearly half an hour. He sighed.

"I never thanked you for saving me." He turned so he was facing her. "I want you to know that I am grateful, but you had no business being there, especially alone."

"Because I'm just a child." She said, staring at the ground. He saw tears sliding down her cheek.

"Look at me Turid." She reluctantly looked up but wouldn't make eye contact. He stuck a finger under her chin forcing her head up to meet his eyes.

"I don't think you're a child Turid, not anymore. It's because you're not trained. I know you know how to hunt. But knowing how to do something, and actually doing it are two different things, believe me. Still you did good. You managed to kill the witch effortlessly, but you had the element of surprise. You weren't prepared for actual battle.

"There will be times on a hunt where your magic won't be of any help, and you have to rely on physical strength and strategy, and to be honest Olaf's right, it is his fault. He babied you. I'm sorry I didn't thank you sooner, but when I saw you enter that cave my heart stopped. Do you have any idea what I would have done if you'd gotten hurt? Or worse." He shook his head. Just thinking about it started his heart racing again. He retracted his hand and this time he downcast his eyes.

"I'm also sorry that I've made you worry. It's not right of me to expect you to go into this blind. When we get home Olaf is going to call a council meeting. When he does I'll show everyone the vision that the witch showed me." He looked up at her then. "Turid, I can't go into it right now. I just..." He closed his eyes and took a deep breath.

She placed her hand on his arm and he opened his eyes. "She showed me how we, or rather the original Turid and Agnar, died." He put a hand on each side of her face and looked her in the eyes. "I swear to you, I will not let that be our fate. I will save you no matter what it takes." He let go of her in frustration and rubbed the tears out of his eyes. He hadn't cried in front of her, or anyone since he was five.