Veiled Chapter 6

Chapter 6: life on the road

It was a little past two in the afternoon when he'd left Turid's house and headed back to his own before someone could come up and check on her. He didn't know why her father's sudden mistrust in him hurt him so much. He sighed as he dropped his bag of clothes out the window to land in the bushes. It was followed by the first aid kit. It was just after ten pm, they should be leaving soon. He looked around his room to make sure he hadn't forgotten anything.

He didn't know why he felt so sad about leaving. Since learning about the world of monsters he'd felt a calling inside that kept him gone more often than home. He barely managed enough school days to graduate, and that was only with a little help from their special abilities.

He missed his family, and of course he'd missed Turid. But every one of those monsters that he killed meant one less threat to them, and the normal families out there who didn't even know of the danger. It was a lonely life out on the road, and now, Turid would have to experience that loneliness too. The horrible food. Cheap motel rooms that were never completely clean. The late nights stalking their prey. The danger of the hunt. The exhaustion when it was over. He didn't want that life for her.

He sighed, and briefly considered running off without her again, but he couldn't bear it if something happened to her and he could have been there to stop it. He jumped and whirled around when he felt a hand on his arm. Turid was standing there, an apologetic look on her face.

He didn't know how she did it, but she was the only being on this planet that could sneak up on him. He looked into her eyes, her bright blue eyes and fair skin, so in contrast to her raven black hair. She was only five foot three, a full foot shorter than himself, her arms as thin as twigs. She wasn't built for this life.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you." He closed his eyes briefly and shook his head. She looked frazzled and exhausted. He understood how she felt, despite it only being a little past ten, and all the sleep he'd gotten since waking up from his enforced coma, all he wanted was to drag her over to his bed and sleep with her safely beside him. He sighed and took her hand before leading her quietly out into the hallway and across to the twins room.

"I thought you'd want to say goodbye first." She nodded and rubbed the tears from her eyes. The twins were awake despite the hour, intuitive as ever they had been watching him like hawks all afternoon. He grabbed his sister, and she his brother, and sat down with them on the floor of the room. The first to speak was Karena. She crawled over into his lap and he hugged his neck tightly.

"When bubba and sissy come home?" He sighed.

"I don't know Rena, I wish I had an answer, but..."

"Bubba and sissy be safe." Makana said sternly.

"Don't worry Makana, I'll protect bubba, I promise." Turid said and he smiled.

"We'll take care of each other." She looked up and reached her hand out for his, he grabbed it without hesitation. The two of them sat there with the twins for a few minutes more before they stood and put them to bed. It took another ten minutes to get the poor things to stop crying and fall back asleep.

After that they walked back over to his room, he sighed and looked around once more. He'd left a note for his mom and dad, there really was no telling when, or if, he'd ever see this room again. As if sensing his thoughts she stepped in front of him and put a hand on his cheek.

"We'll be back some day, I know it." He smiled and nodded. He climbed out the window first, and when he reached the ground he lifted up his arms to help her down. He grabbed the bags he'd dropped into his bushes, while she grabbed the ones she'd dropped into hers. The trunk was full of weapons, so he tossed their bags into the back. He turned to see her standing there, staring at the plastic where her living room windows had been. He walked over and put a hand on her cheek.