Veiled Chapter 5

Chapter 5: For their safety

Agnar backed up to Karena's crib and scooped her into his other arm. He'd looked like he was going to run through her. She knew he wasn't angry at her, but rather angry and in shock by what almost happened to his brother. She was too, no one hurt those two without going through her. But it wasn't the snake's fault. It was being used by someone, and she had to find out what other nasty surprises they may have.

"Call my father please." She said turning to his parents. His mother took Karena from Agnar, and his father left to call her dad. She turned back to the snake.

"Why are you here?" It was wrapped around the bars at the top of Makana's crib, scenting the air around it in confusion.

'Where issss here?'

"Michigan."

'What isssss a Missssshagan.' She sighed.

"What's it saying?" Agnar called out in anger. She turned in confusion, she'd forgotten the others weren't as adept at speaking to animals as she was.

"It doesn't know where it is." She held her hand up and approached the snake.

"Don't, those are venomous." Agnar grabbed her by the shoulder.

"Agnar, it won't hurt me. Between my affinity for animals, and the fact I can control their minds, I'm as safe as if it were a bunny, it's alright." He sighed but stepped back hugging his brother close. The baby boy looked as worried as his brother. She took a step forward. She wished he hadn't said anything because now she was nervous. "Sleep." She finally said.

When it went limp she walked forward and grabbed it, she held its mouth closed just in case. She concentrated on its mind. She was slithering through the grass, she'd tasted a mouse on the air. She was heading toward her dinner when she ran right into the leg of something that appeared out of nowhere. She struck out at it in shock and bit but her teeth couldn't puncture the surface.

"Here one, here one nan nan, here one." She was yanked into the air by what looked like a green snot colored toddler with yellow eyes and very little hair.

"Stop calling me that you stupid beast." It was a witch, it struck the little goblin on the head with a stick and snatched up the snake before shoving it roughly into her bag. She wasn't the only snake in there. She started to feel very sleepy. Before she passed out she heard the witch's voice.

"This will be a fun surprise for the Hofferson clan." Her eyes burst open and she began to gasp and cough for air. Agnar was on the ground beside her holding her up.

"Thank god we thought..." He pulled her into him. Her father grabbed the snake when she dropped it and threw it out the window.

"There's more," she coughed out. "Warn the clan." She leaned heavily into Agnar as she tried to catch her breath. Her father ran out of the room to get others to help him check on their family. When she'd managed to slow her racing heart a little she turned wide eyes up to Agnar's face. He was white as a sheet. "What happened?" He let out a humorless bark of laughter.

"You weren't breathing, we tried to pry the snake out of your hold but you wouldn't let go. I'm surprised you didn't crush it to death." He shook his head. "You were turning blue and collapsed by the end. I was about to start CPR when you came to." He held her tight. "Don't you ever scare me like that again, do you understand?" She shook her head wrapping her arms around his neck.

"I don't know what happened." Maybe it was the witch, she didn't know. He gave her a little while longer to catch her breath before he helped her to her feet and led her down the stairs to his living room.