Chapter 4: Looks like Trouble

Kaden's POV:

Reaching my car, I stop running. I place my hands on my knees and take slow, deep breaths, trying to slow my heart, which felt like it was beating out of my chest.

But not because of the running. No, I've run much, much farther.

But because of him.

I hear footsteps behind me, accompanied by heavy breathing. I turn around.

Ugh!

"Nice to see you too," he says as I mentally scold my brain.

Stupid fucking brain!

I look up, and when the boy doesn't say anything, I thank my brain for keeping that thought to itself.

"So..." The boy starts, staring awkwardly at his feet.

"Uh..why did you follow me?" I ask, crossing my arms over my chest.

I must look very angry because the boy starts stutter.

"Uh..I...um...well I..." He starts.

"Just spit it out!" I snap, aggravated by the dream invader.

His face brightens, which I find odd considering I just yelled at him, and he pulls something out of his pocket.

My car keys, to be exact.

I reach into my pocket, where I last had them, and sure enough, there's nothing there.

They must've slipped out of my pocket when I fell.

"Thanks," I grumble, grabbing the car keys from the boys outstreched hand and getting into my car.

"No problem," he says, more to his feet than to me.

He stands there for a moment, as if he was considering something, before turning around and leaving.

Happy to finally be away from the boy, I put my car keys into the ignition and turn them.

When the engine doesn't roar to life, I turn the car keys again.

Nothing.

I groan, hitting my head against the car wheel in frustration.

I get out of the car and see the boy walking across the street.

"Hey!"