Prologue

The large cheerful blue eyes of the little Aryan girl were not so cheerful anymore. They were exhausted and starving. Her strawberry blond hair was equivalent to a bird's nest. She was not the only German suffering, there were thousands more.

On November 11, 1918, Germany had surrendered to its allies signing an armistice to cease fire and thereafter, ending the bloodiest war unlike any other the world had seen before. 

The First World War had caused a lot of devastation in Germany. The Treaty Of Versailles had come hard on Germany. It was meant to be a peace treaty signed between Germany and the Allied Powers of the west. One of the most important of its clauses was for Germany to accept the sole responsibility of causing the loss and the damage caused in the war.

It had forced Germany to disarm, pay reparations and make substantial territorial concessions. His lands were taken, colonies captured and a large expenditure was done in order to compensate for the damage caused in the war.

The democratic constitutional republic, The Weimar Republic, that had come into being after the First World war, showed no solutions to the misery of the Germans. The Government had already been bankrupt while paying the repercussions. The value of the currency had begun to rise dramatically making it difficult for his citizens to earn a single meal a day to fill their empty stomachs. With the French occupation of Ruhr, a major German industrial region and the hyperinflation hitting Germany, unemployment had risen. Many had indulged criminal activities and those who could not continued to swim in the waters of poverty.

A leaded sky hovered over the survivors. There was much pain and despair and there seemed to be no end of it.

The little Aryan girl continued drooling as she hungrily stared into the Jewish bakery. The smell of baked bread filled the air. Suddenly, the back door was kicked opened and an old lady with a wooden cane and a boy, a year or two older than the girl, ran to drive the girl away. The little girl hastily ran; ran inside the forest behind, with pools of tears running down her pale pink cheeks.

She reached the marshy pond and caught her breath. She was just hungry. She had not eaten for days. She sobbed quietly to herself as she felt the acid rise in her empty stomach. As she continued staring into waters of the pond, something caught her attention. She turned, her face frightened to find a boy. It was the same little boy from the bakery with deep and mysterious green eyes with brown hair neatly swept to one side and a few strands falling lightly on his forehead.

The girl frantically spoke up, scared that the boy might take her back to the old lady back in the bakery, "I did not steal! I was just hungry. Please! Don't take me back. I am not lying."

But the boy just chuckled beautifully and reassured her, "I am not here to take you back. I got you this."

He put forward a bakery box. The girl suspiciously took it and opened it to find delicately decorated cakes. The girl's eyes lit up and a happy smile etched her features. She made a grab for the cakes hungrily.

She said with a broad smile, "Thank you. You are nice. You share."

He said smiling back, "Let's have a picnic." They both sat down beside the pond on the dew filled grass and started eating the delicious cakes without any further ado.

The girl put forward her hand, dirty with cream, smiling, "I'm Edith. Edith Fischer."

The boy took her hand, returning the warm smile, "Arno. Arno Weber."

A/N: Hey there,lovely readers! I just want to say that thanks for thinking this story was worth your reading! If you like it, please do vote, I would love to get your feedback on this story. This is my first time writing so I hope you guys will help!

Thank you! Love you all!