3. Hans and Eva

(Edith)

It was finally the day of the wedding. It was autumn time. Red and orange leaves had started to fall. The light breeze that flowed smelt rather blissful. Our months of preparation was finally completed. An excited aura surrounded us all. I looked around with a satisfactory smile on my face at the preparations we all had worked so hard upon.

The wedding was to be held in an orthodox German- Jewish manner. The ceremony was to be held under the Chuppa (Canopy) which was open on both sides. According to Jewish tradition, the Chuppa was a symbol of the home that the new couple would build together.

Hans was more than agitated. He hadn't seen Eva for a week and his hunger was driving him insane. Yet, his insides were jumping with anticipation. Wedding was considered the happiest (Obvious) and the holiest day in a couple's lifetime for on this day their past mistakes were forgiven as they merged into a new and complete soul. The idea filled me with anxiety thinking about my own wedding.

The chuppa was decorated in traditional German styled with beautiful, fragrant white flowers on the upper corners and white lacy veil as a curtain to the canopy. A buffet with traditional german cuisine was kept to one corner of the lawn. A white carpet was laid till the canopy for the bride. On both sides of the carpet, flowers were set into beautiful patterns and the audiences were to stand on both sides of the carpet.

In German tradition, the bride and the groom were not accompanied by anyone else. A high patio was set inside the canopy for the rabbi to conduct the rituals.

Suddenly, Ingrid tapped me on the shoulder getting my attention. She had her light blond hair in a pretty braid to a side and a knee length dress. Her light blue eyes glowing with excitement.

Finally, it was time.

Hans stood under the canopy dressed in a traditional German tuxedo with his hair neatly combed to a side for the first time, it seemed and his brown eyes beamed with happiness. There was a hint of nervousness in his eyes. Beside him stood Arno with a mischievous smile and contentment on his face. He looked beautiful. His green eyes beamed when he saw me.

I stood with my family wearing a customary beige colour German gown with my blond hair braided down leaving out some unkempt strands, waiting for the rituals to start. I looked at Arno seductively and blew him a kiss making sure no one saw me. I giggled as I saw him blush and get uncomfortable. To my wonderful luck, Ingrid nudged me pretty hard on my hand. Arno just winked at Ingrid.

I noticed the Beckenbaurs with their foster child as well. It was one of the rarest times when I saw Mrs Beckenbaur looking pretty and smiling instead of actually screaming at her husband or anyone else.

Eva Meminger entered holding a bouquet and a white long lace attached to it with one hand and her other hand held her father's arm. She looked stunning her bunned up hair and long white gown. The gown had no train and the veils were fingertip length. 

A German bride awaited her life changing moment.

She left her father's arm and stood beside Hans. Both of them smiling wide at each other. It must be nice to each other after a week's gap.

Rosa Weber and Mrs Meminger stood opposite to each other and smashed down some plates. It was supposed to symbolize good luck. There was a saying in own culture, "Scherben bringen Gluck" meaning "Broken crockery brings good luck".

The wedding began with Hans uncovering Eva's veil covering her face and echoing round of applause from the audiences.

Two cups of wine were placed for the ceremony. After the rabbi completed the recitation of the first around, the couple was supposed to drink from the first glass by sharing the wine followed by the second round and the second glass of wine.

The wedding bands were finally exchanged and the couple was declared husband and wife.

Finally it was eating time. The first ounce of food was taken by the bride and the groom to break their fast. Seemed like they were way hungrier than we thought. Both of them ate like elephants.

After the guests had finished eating, the bride and the groom shared their first dance together. The traditional Waltz. It was a treat to watch the newlyweds dance. They seemed to be floating in air with giggles and twirls. Although, most of the times Hans just seemed to be tripping over his shoes with a goofy smile stuck to his lips.

After they were done, Eva was to dance with Peter and Hans to dance with Mrs Meminger. As the dancers swayed around the entire area with waltz, Arno slipped beside me and asked me for a dance to which I happily obliged. Together, we merged into the middle of the dance floor with our tiny little world with waltz.

The floor was enlightened with joy and happiness. Everyone seemed so immersed in the dance, forget all their worries and live the moment. After all, who knew this day might be their last?!

Everyone was busy with their own world. Ingrid was dancing with my father while my mother danced with Albert and Alfred. Hans with Eva, Mr and Mrs beckenbaur with their Aryan child and Mr and Mrs Meminger. For once, caring about no one around Arno and I swayed around the dance floor sharing a moment of love. Our tiny little world was filled with sweet laughters from both of us. We were flying in air. We stopped.

Arno looked down at me, held my face and whispered, "Ich liebe dich, Engel."

I took his face, smiled wide and whispered a "I love you" back.

Then, we stood there, the world around us dissolved. No problems, no filths, no parents, no wars but only Arno and me.

We kissed.