The Beginning of it all

T.w - Abuse and Assault 🚨

The door slams shut behind us as we leave for the princess's birthday.

I tried to cover the bruise as much as I could. But makeup can hide only so much.

    A blanket of silence falls over us as I climb into his car.

I try hard not to cry from the stinging pain in my jaw.

But I can't keep the tears in for long. He groans and I can feel him roll his eyes at me.

It's what he does every time I show any emotion.

"That dress is expensive. Don't stain it, you ungrateful bitch."

I nod, sniffling and wiping my eyes as we drive through the busy streets.

"My god, do you ever shut up?"

I hold in my upcoming sob.

Maybe I could fight back. But when you have coiled in fear for too long...it's the only thing you know how to do.

Fear.

That's one of the only emotions I have felt in months.

I lean my head against the headrest, wiping the tears that left salty marks on my cheeks. I sit there in the silence and the dark for who knows how long.

I am tired. So, so tired.

I think back to better times. When my father was alive and my mother was around. When, as long as I was out of the king's sight, I could do whatever I wanted to.

When I wasn't locked up inside a room, begging the universe that he won't return and soil my skin and soul. When I wouldn't get slapped for doing as much as breathing too loud.

When I was free.

I wipe my eyes but a few tears still roll their way into my mouth.

⊱ ────── {.⋅ ✯ ⋅.} ────── ⊰

"Welcome!" The king greets the man who's so good at pretending to be a golden gentleman.

His majesty pats his back and flashes me a smile.

They make small talk while I stare at the food, the couples and ballroom.

How long has it been since I've had a proper meal? Not that I'll be having any tonight.

    The king walks away and Damon offers me his arm. I hook mine through his and he leads me towards I don't know what.

We sit down at a table with a bunch of other people who I guarantee would never even look at someone like me unless they absolutely had to.

There's soft, an elegant, polite yet forced sort of chit chat around the table.

People ask questions and answer as if they were following a script.

I look around and keep quiet because I don't want to embarrass myself.

I take in the gorgeous decor and my eyes lock with the guy sitting in front of me, talking to "my fiance".

He smiles and I blink at him and then look behind me, trying to make sure he's smiling at me.

He looks away, and faces another girl.

Holy shit. She's stunning.

Her golden dress drapes over her breathtaking curves and her makeup is absolutely radiant.

To be honest, he's also beautiful. Dark brown hair, tanned skin, an expensive-looking suit, gleaming blue eyes and a hoarse yet incredibly soft voice.

"What's your name?" He asks me.