Susan <3

"That is the Library. That's Susan's own, personal kitchen. We love Susan in this house, by the way."

Lucas leads me inside a very cosy, homey little kitchen that doesn't look like it belongs in a palace this extravagant.

"Hey sweetheart, you must must be Ocean. Essie told me you might come by today. Have a seat. Tell me about yourself." A sweet looking older woman smiles at me, taking off her pink-cupcake apron.

Lucas walks past me, straight towards the stove and lifts the lid off a container.

He has almost picked up a piece of chicken when Susan slaps his hand away.

"Lucas, what is wrong with you? It's clearly still raw."

"But I am hungry," He whines like a child and I can't help but laugh.

"Eat literally anything else! The pantry is full."

He pouts and opens up the fridge, grabbing what looks like a protein bar.

"Yes, Ocean, tell me." Susan turns towards me.

I sit down on a chair and begin, "My name's Ocean and I came to the palace last night. I think you know how and why."

"Hobbies? Food? What do you like?"

"I like painting. Drawing. Crafts. Art. All of that. And food uh... I can eat whatever."

She hums in reply. "Love that dress."

I look down at my blue sundress with a smile.

"Thank you! Lucas picked it out for me."

"Did you now?" Susan turns towards him with a subtle smirk.

His phone rings and he says to her, "Shut up." And leaves the room.

"He likes you," Susan tells me.

I blink at her. And let out an awkward chuckle.

Me?

Please.

"No, I am serious. Picking out dresses, flowers, bringing you to me? He only does that to girls he likes."

I wonder how many girls get this side of him. I decide against asking it aloud.

"Just you. And a girl from a long, long time ago." Susan doesn't explain further.

It's so...nice that these people don't even have to talk much. The other person just...knows.

Lucas re-enters the room and reaches over to the other side of the table, his chest way too close to my face, and grabs an apple.

"I am fucking up my diet," He mutters.

"Another one? Sweetie, this is getting—"

Lucas waves her off.

His eyes stay on me a little longer that expected.

He smiles.

I smile back.

I ignore the weird feeling in my stomach as he sits down right next to me.

I ignore the rising heat in my cheeks when he knees brush against mine.

"What perfume do you use?" I blurt out that stupid question,

Great, now he's going to think I am a creep.

"Ocean breeze by Clarté, I think. Why? You like it?"

I nod a little too enthusiastically.

"Great. I am never changing my perfume again," He murmurs and bites into his apple.

And I can't help but smile at what Susan said.