Chapter 1: Adopted

Just another day with a bunch of idiots. Adoption homes or whatever the hell they are called suck ass. It was like living with a bunch of animals. I hated many of the kids and teens here and they hated me back. I liked Greenday and they liked Calvin Harris. I like converse over heels. Combat boots over Ugg boots. Skinny jeans over skirts. I wasn't very much of a girly girl. It felt like the proper time for a smoke. I tried it when I was 15 at my high school. It allowed me to release anxiety and stress. Strolling to the park I pulled out a cigarette. Lighting it I placed it in my mouth and took a breath. The smoke running down my throat. My body instantly relaxed, a feeling taking over I had come to love.

"Rylen!"

Oh fuck! I threw my cigarette to the ground stepping on it with the heel of my shoes.

"What Bently?"

"Ms. Sue is taking attendance in twenty minutes. We have over 20 people stopping by today. Walk with me, yeah?"

"Sure lets go."

"You smell like a fire pit."

"I just had a cigarette."

"At least let me spray axe on you so you don't smell like shit."

"Fine"

Bently and I took a sprint to the building I knew to well. Walking in the lobby I noticed the familiar scent that smelt like a professionals office. My nose scrunched hating it. Bently pulled my arm not liking my speed. He sprayed Axe Anarchy on me.

"Okay you smell not like a cigarette."

"That was my goal."

"Go get your ass in the lobby."

"Alright."

-------------------------

Adults walked through one catching my stare I smiled. She looked like a woman in her early fifties. She smiled back and started waking toward me. My body feeling with nervousness my hands starting to tremble wishing I could have a cigarette to calm my self.

"Hello love." Her Australian accent was quite thick. Thicker then mine. She continued on.

"My name is Liz, and you are?"

"My name is Rylen. It was my mom's name."

"It's a lovely name. How old are you darling."

"Just turned sixteen actually two weeks ago."

"Happy Birthday sweet heart! Andrew, honey come here!"

A man also in his fifties stepped over.

"This is Rylen love. Rylen this is Andrew my husband."

"Nice to meet you Andrew."

"Back at you."

Andrew and Liz seemed pretty chill.

"We will be back Hun."

I nodded getting smiles in return.
Making my way to Bently I watched as the couple talked to Ms. Sue.

"Hate to say Rylen but I think you have a chance."

"And why Bently do you say you hate it?"

"Then you will leave..."

"I still doubt it. But your 17 you get out in 4 months."

"Rylen!"

I smiled toward Bently and ran toward Ms.Sue. Stopping at her feet I rose my hand up to catch my breath. Smiling I looked up at the couple and Ms. Sue. Liz began to speak.

"Would it be okay for us to adopt you?"

"Of course!"

Ms.Sue smiled then said.

"Go pack your bags dear.