IX.

Draco Malfoy loved being in control.

He loved the power that came with being a prefect. Under Umbridge's authority, the boy was able to do almost anything as he pleased. The power he had, although minuscule to the power he'll obtain in the future, was only a taste of the drunkenness of power.

Nia loved taking power away.

It's an instinct the girl had to adjust to. Like a smooth criminal, she lied low. No, not literally was she taking anyone's power. What those her age could barely achieve in magic, Nia was able to do it ten times better. The girl practiced, failed, and studied; it was routine–it was what stuck around. Magic is what protected her from the start, and magic is what she'll die by. Magic is Nia's power. She'll do anything to be the best at her power.

When she returned from Hogsmeade with Theo's arm around her shoulders, Nia found it difficult to concentrate on what the boy was saying and his affections.

Harry was a new revelation to uncover. Nia knew he was a gifted wizard for his age, given his famous history with The Dark Lord. And she knew a lot of people looked up to him, even those closest to him. Since the beginning of term, here and there she's heard stories of Harry's conquers, especially at The Hog's Head earlier.

Deep down, Nia was going mad at the fact that Harry could conjure a Patronus and she couldn't. Her friend, Harry Potter, the boy she's sat next to for over a month, could think of a happy memory.

Ridiculous, Nia mentally shamed herself, THE Harry Potter could cast that damn charm. The boy with an even worse childhood than mine could hold onto something happy.

Jealousy settled in Nia's stubborn head.

If he could look into her thoughts, Draco Malfoy would no longer doubt Nia's place in Slytherin.

For the first time in a very long time, Nia was bested.

Nia awaited the first D.A. meeting with eagerness.

All day, she attended classes with an attentive look. She was over the moon at the thought of learning the method to a successful Patronus charm (if there was one, or she just truly didn't have a strong happy memory).

Draco Malfoy took note of Nia's change of mood during Potions class. He almost wanted to give her detention for looking so jovial in Snape's class.

"Change of partners," Snape voiced at the beginning of class, his usual monotone voice cleared any low bickering amongst the students. Half the class groaned.

"Why?" Seamus asked.

"Because," Snape whirled around to face him and seethed, "I can, young man."

Seamus sent an unwilling glare to his once permanent partner beside him, Nia. She shrugged her shoulders.

Seamus wasn't a terrible potions partner, but yes, it was true his concoctions usually sprayed his face. If Nia wasn't monitoring the cauldron, their work would splatter the walls. Just last week Nia nearly dodged a Blugeye potion, saving herself but not Seamus. Snape was the one who ushered Nia to escort Seamus to Madam Promfrey.

"Your new Defense Against the Dark Arts professor" Snape continued with a mockery of disgust, "has wished to merge the four houses together, as she senses a sort of tension–"

"MERGE THE HOUSES?" Malfoy cut in, a putrid look of horror on his face.

"Zip it, Malfoy!" Snape boomed at the boy then continued, "the newest professor has asked to involve more house to house interaction. To do this, most of you will have a partner from a different house."