Chapter Twelve.

Joelle's pov;
*********
i jogged up the porch of the light brown house, and composed myself before i knocked on the door.
after a minute i saw the curtain move, and then heard locks unlocking.
the door swung open, and Alicia stood.
"hi." i said awkwardly, rocking back and forth on my heels.
"hey. joelle, whats up?" she questions.
"oh, um. i dont know. wanna go somewhere?"
********
"are you sure we can do this?" she asked, whilst i was halfway climbing up the fence.
"yea. lets go." i say, leaping over.
my feet hit the ground with a 'crunch' as leaves and twigs snapped underneath my feet.
alicia climber over shortly after, falling over as she hit the ground.
"alright, lets go." i say, starting to walk.
"wait," she scoffed. "you're not even going to help me up?!" alicia crosses her arms.
"nope." i call out from the distance, continuing to walk.
*******
"joelle, where are we even going? you're walking too fast."
"i dont know," i say, holding out my arm to stop her.
"what?"
"walkers."
"wait, what?! no, no, no. i gotta go." alicia says, i can hear the panic in her voice.
"fine, go ahead. get eaten. i'll be here killing these things."
she backs up as she walkers come closer, and i pull my knife out of my boot, jabbing the two in the head.
"there. piece of cake." i say, nodding my head.
"yea right."
******
we walk through the woods for a while, before deciding to head back.
we talked for a while, and i found out that her mom passed away a little while back, so after alicia and catherine were alone for a while, they found alexandria.
"i lost my mom, too." i say solemnly, pressing my lips together.
"oh. im sorry."
"its not your fault. dont be."
"if you dont mind me asking, what happened...?"
"woah. wait." i say, interrupting the conversation.
"huh?"
"shh." i pull her behind a tree.
"what?"
"look." we look around the tree to see carl and lydia, sitting against a log.
lydia was smiling like crazy, and carl was nodding at what she said, holding a small smile also.
my mouth flew open as lydia reached her hand up, pressing her lips against carls.
i almost thought my vision went blurry.
i stood up immediately, slamming my feet on the ground.
"lets go." i say quietly, well, maybe, not so quiet.
i bolt in the other direction, leaving alicia to catch up to me.
******
carls pov;
******
lydia giggled, talking about this time in elementary school when this girl nearly fell off the stage at the talent show.
i chuckled along with her, looking down at the log i was picking at.
"carl?"
i look up at her, my hat partway covering my eyes.
she placed her hand against my cheek and leaned in, smashing her lips into mine.
on instinct i kissed back, until i hear a sound in the distance.
i broke the kiss, turning to my left to see two girls kneeling behind the tree.
"lets go." the shorter of the two say, standing up and running away.
"joelle?" i say, trying to run after the blonde girl, before lydia stopped me, and shook her head.
"just leave them." she nods, kissing my cheek before walking off also, leaving me alone.
i sit back down, leaning against the log.
i pull my hat off my head, playing with the strings on the front.
"fuck!" i scream, throwing my hat, and watching it slam against a tree.
i pick up a large stick, and throw it as hard as i can against the tree, watching it snap before it hits the floor.
*******
joelle's pov;
*******
i storm back to the fence, swiftly climbing back over, and hopping over the other side, not bothering to see if alicia got over safely.
i start walking through alexandria, my heart beating fast.
"joelle!" i turn around to see alicia behind me, out of breath, a mad expression on her face.
"what the hell do you want?" i sigh, tilting my head back.
"listen here, you asshole. dont ever fucking leave me out there like that again! it was your idea to go out there anyway!" she screams, storming away.
*******
i make it back to the house, running upstairs, slamming the door shut behind me.
"fuck!" i scream, kicking the wall as hard as a i could.
i shove all the clutter off the bureau, letting it fall to the floor.